Ok.....who'se brave enough to answer?!

Miss_Kitty
on 5/2/10 3:38 pm - New Bedford, MA
At your heaviest weight, what was your most embarassing moment(s)?

Yeah, I know. It's only fair that I answer this too!

As if being over 420lbs wasn't embarrasing enough, I can remember at least 3 incodents.

I went to Six Flags with a few family members, and I couldn't fit on the rides. After waiting in the long lines, I squeezed myslef into one of the seats, the safety bar would not latch over my big belly. I had to get off the ride and leave infront of everyone, with lots of people witnessing the whole event! And this happened not once, but twice! I was stupid enough to try to squeeze into another ride, only to have the same thing happen! For the rest of the day, I could only watch my family have fun while me and my fiancee (who is scared of the rides) walked around, feeling hurt and humiliated! (I was so glad to have him there with me, at least!)

The second time was everytime I went to the doctor's office. I was too heavy to be weighed on their scales, even though it went up to at least 350lbs. The nurses would have to go into a storage closet, and litteraly drag out an enormous scale ment to weigh people who were in wheelchairs! And the only space they had available was in a hallway, where anybody walking by could witness the whole thing!

And third,...........my fiancee and I were gathering our laundry together to go to the laundromat. We like to keep our clothes separate sometimes. Going through his clothes, he picks up a large pink garment and says, "Why is your shirt in with my laundry?" and tosses it with my pile. Knowing my clothes, I knew it wasn't a shirt he picked up and tossed, it was my underwear!!!!! Was I really so big that he thought my underwear was a shirt???!!!!!

That was years ago. Praise the Lord that I have lost over 120lbs, (however it was unfortunately due to being sick) and just recently had a panniculectomy to remove my large hanging belly. I like the way my new body looks and am still hoping to lose more weight from smart food choices and walking.

I was just traveling down memory lane, and felt like sharing those experiences with you. Anyone else had any embarrasing experiences?

Do you see the glass as half empty or half full? I say, what difference does it make--I paid for a full glass,so either way I am getting jipped!!!

HollyRachel
on 5/2/10 4:45 pm

Oh Oh...I can do this one..lol

1.  Having to squeeze my stomach in so tight to fit into the seat belt on an airplane.  I refused to ask for the extender (embarrassed), so I tugged and pulled and squeezed for probably a whole five minutes.  I REFUSE to get on a plane now until I lose some weight (and this was thirty pounds ago!).

2.  Going into a womans clothing store and not being able to fit into their biggest pants that they have.  Sort of embarrassing when family is with you.

3.  Not being able to sit (or afraid to even try) in a booth at a restaurant..OR your butt too big for a chair in a restaurant!  I've been hitting this problem once in a while now. :(

(deactivated member)
on 5/2/10 10:27 pm - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Great question! 
Hard to pick the most embarrassing moment....so many.....

I guess this was pretty big because I still remember it and it happened about 25 years ago.....
I was in a dept store going to try on some clothes...as I stepped into the stall a little girl with her mother said "shes a fat lady".  I remember pulling the curtain closed and looking in the mirror and thinking she is right.

I too had an amusement park mishap.  I was on line for a ride....I probably weight about 250 at the time.....It had been a rainy day, my tee shirt was glued to my body...a couple of young Ladies and gentlemen (I say that sarcastically) were in across from me and they kept turning to look at me and then would laugh.

OK - THIS is probably the most embarrassing.
I was on a cruise about 4 years ago.  We were on our way to an excursion they drive you there in one of those open buses....as everyone was getting on the bus the driver said to me..."You can sit up front with me".   I wanted to turn around and get back on the boat but I didn't.....geez all that awful feeling just filled my body.  I'd like to go back, find that driver and say "how do you like me now?"

OK - off to look in the mirror and remind myself of how great I look and feel now.

Have a great day!!!!
gloop
on 5/2/10 11:55 pm
wow, I had the same amusment park experience when I had to get off a ride in front of everyone and my daughter had to go with a stranger, that was a very sad experience, also the many times I just let my kids go on rides with strangers or by themselves because I just didn't want to risk the embarassment again.  There was one time I got stuck in one of those chair and table that are attached to each other at the food court and when I tried to get out the entire table and chair got up with me, I literally lifted it off the floor because I was so tightly wedged in.  And, of course, there's the public transit and airplane issues that I'm sure most of us are familier with.  I broke a lawn chair at a friends house and there were other people around to witness (humiliating)...so many I could go on and on...being the only one fully clothed at a water park on a hot summers day etc etc

I'm in the process of changing my diet, relationship with food and my lifestyle.  I'm in training for maintaining.
A B
on 5/3/10 1:00 am - NM
how shall i pick just one???  i went on vacation with a very thin friend of mine and we were walking down the street and some (insert curse word here) kids were walking behind us and started calling me names (that happend years ago and i'm still really upset by it!!  needless to say, i've not been back on vaca with her).  a few years ago i was on a plane to scotland and had to take one of those little jumper planes and i literally couldn't fit in the seat and there was someone sitting next to me, i actually had to move to another seat and that was pretty embarrassing. . . . . i don't think i like this game!!!   
Miss_Kitty
on 5/4/10 7:20 pm - New Bedford, MA
I still struggle with fitting into seats and stuff. I had a panniculectomy which removed my large hanging belly, but I still have a big butt and big thighs.  We just have to keep on trying the best we can on our weightloss journey.  Congradulations on your weightloss. Take care and God bless.

Do you see the glass as half empty or half full? I say, what difference does it make--I paid for a full glass,so either way I am getting jipped!!!

chellelynn3
on 5/3/10 4:19 am - san bernardino, CA
 I had the not fitting in a ride experience at a carnival when I was a teenager, I was with  my boyfriend, who is now my husband. The one experience that comes to mind, and it is/was more hurtful than embarassing  was when I had my last baby, my pastors wife offered to give us a little baby shower with all the woman from our church invited, some I knew some I did not know, Olivia (my baby) was about 4 months old at the time and I weighed about 296ish and this family came in, the mom and two teenage daughters (who were very thin) and the youngest daughter who was about 4, they walked in and greeted me and the little girl looked at me like a deer in headlights and just pointed at me and said "why is she big mom?" her mom tried to over talk her and pretend like she did not here her daughter, so the little girl got louder   and said "MOM, I said why is she BIG?" the poor mom looked at me and kinda smiled and then took her little girl into the corner and bent down to talk to her, I did not here what she was saying to her but I imagine she was trying to explain to her that I was a larger person and it was not nice to point it out. The whole rest of the shower I felt like crying, I wanted to crawl into a whole. I came home and cried, I told my husband how bad I felt about myself. That was one of the instances that led me to research WLS. Which is what brought me to my whole new lifestyle of eating and exercising! so God can and does use all things for good to those that Love him.  

Michelle Hendrickson Holistic Health Coach http://www.gracioushealth.net

Miss_Kitty
on 5/4/10 7:25 pm - New Bedford, MA
God most certainly does take something bad and turn it into something good!  I had a hernia near my belly button and not only was the hernia repaired, I had a panniculectomy of 20lbs removed. That is one surgery that insurances don't usually cover unless it was a "medical" reason, which mine was. Praise the Lord!

Congradulations on your weightloss. Take care and God bless.

toniteach
on 5/3/10 8:46 am - Houston, TX

Hi Friends,

Thanks for sharing your stories....I know how you feel/felt, believe me!

* A few years ago, I couldn't get the seatbelt to fit around me on the airplane, so I covered the unbuckled belt with my lap, and flew unsafely so I wouldn't have to ring the stewardess bell and ask for an extender in front of the rest of the airline.  Since then, I request an extender as soon as I board before I sit, and am SO THANKFUL that I no longer need one.

* My kids asking me why I was a "big" mommy, and other mommies were "little".    Now they tell me how thin I am, even though I'm still obese, but thankful I'm not super obese.

* And finally, this is my most private and embarrassing incident:  Using a "skinny" restroom stall, and not being able to stay seated on the toilet seat and reach my big-ole booty.  Another thing I'm THANKFUL for...now I don't need to worry about that!

(deactivated member)
on 5/3/10 10:26 am
OMG - at first I was horrified by this post - I am so humiliated that I allowed myself to get so large. I have blocked out my highest weights from my memory and along with that some of my most embarrassing moments. There is tremendous pain and it's good to release some of it in this wonderful and safe company.

As I read everyone's post - I saw myself in them, It's healthy to laugh about those things. After all everyone has embarrassing moments as part of being human. Anyone here walk out of the bathroom with toilet paper stuck to their shoe? How about their skirt tucked into their pantyhose?

I have also been stuck in a booth and needed DH to help me out. It didn't help that my knees were crippled with arthritis at the time and my myositis (inflammation of the muscles) was bad so I could hardly stand - so getting stuck was icing on the cake. The worst thing about it was the table dug into my stomach and hurt the whole meal and the food was dreadful.

Michelle, I have a similar story to yours - only a little worse. My first daughter had to be put in isolation in the NICU for 24 hours after her birth so I had to walk there to see her. While I was looking in the window, one of the delivery RN's asked me when I was going to deliver my baby. Yes, this was someone who works there and delivers babies thought I was still pregnant the day after I gave birth. She did feel bad about her mistake, but it didn't stop me from hurting.

DH and I were among a small group of scientists invited to South Korea to attend a conference give presentations. They also sent us on some wonderful sightseeing tours. DH and I knew this group - we all work in the same field and most of them we had met in person before and continue to meet. The sightseeing tours were held in minivan type vehicles - except these were really high up off the ground like a truck - and I'm height challenged. In the states here they have either a running board or carry a step stool to help you step up into the van - but not in Korea. I couldn't get into these vans and had to be pushed up into them - awful - two men pushing me up and then I had to crawl in and then stand up to sit in a seat. DH and I were both obese and we were squishing everyone else in the seats because there was no extra room. The happiest day was when DH figured out he could lift up the arm lift at the edge of the seat and leave part of his butt off the chair thereby making more room for the three of us on the seat. And everyone else was physically fit too and younger - when we went to the DMZ (demilitarized zone) they took us to this very deep and steep entrance down into a cave where the South Koreans had dug and almost penetrated through an underground tunnel - they had planned to attack SK by surprise. Anyhow DH and I were huffing and puffing and realized that we could never get down, see the tunnel and get back in time - so we only went down a small distance, let the rest go ahead and then we started to go back up. By the time we got back up - huffing and puffing, the other members of our group had been all the way down, been through the tunnel section and had hiked all the way back up. We were so embarrassed. I regret that I hadn't lost my weight and gotten in better shape before this trip of a lifetime. thankfully the good memories out weight the bad and DH and I can laugh about this stuff now.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello
sele444 · 0 replies · 422 views
Here's how to lose 5 Pounds a Day!
Siam · 0 replies · 545 views
Hi all
Traleen · 1 replies · 742 views
Plant Based
ebonymc2 · 1 replies · 964 views