Food for Thought

(deactivated member)
on 4/29/10 1:28 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
I had a tough day on Tuesday.......I was feeling sorry for myself and upset because of my swelling issues.  By Tuesday night  I was done with the pity party and focusing on all the good that has come since shedding all that weight and having plastic surgery.

Offerings of the Day
Finding Gifts In All

We can reframe bad days by spending some time before going to bed each night to review the gifts we received that day.

When we have good days, we often find ourselves going over the details later, enjoying them a second and third time as we feel the joy of our good fortune. When we have bad days, we may find ourselves poring over the details of our misfortunes. However, we can reframe those bad days by making it a daily practice to spend some time before going to bed each night to review the gifts we received that day. Regardless of our evaluation of the day—good, bad, mediocre—we can call forth the many blessings that were present. This practice transforms our consciousness as it reveals the fullness at the heart of our lives.

Some days it’s easy to recount the gifts we’ve received; on other days, we have to look harder for the offerings of the day, but once we do, we will find there are always quite a few. We can keep it simple and be grateful for the fact that we have a roof over our head, nature, food, and our health. Once we have fully experienced these gifts, we can move outward to the gifts that may require a little more thought such as the gifts of forgiveness, tolerance and acceptance that we may have learned that day. We can also always be grateful for the people in our lives who support us, no matter how bad our day may have been.

Just reviewing the many positive offerings in our lives provides a context for our difficulties that puts them in proper perspective, but we can also make an effort to see the gifts even in adverse cir****tances. This can be challenging and may require some practice before it feels authentic, but we have all had the experience of a disappointment or loss leading to a surprising gain. Just remembering this and trusting the give and take of life can help us to remember that sometimes the best gifts of all are the ones we don’t recognize right away. In addition, the lessons we learn in the face of adversity are offerings in their own right, allowing us to count patience, wisdom, and fortitude alongside the other gifts of the day.

(deactivated member)
on 4/29/10 5:35 am - Rochester, NY
I'm a great believer in the power of prayer and usually fall asleep in the middle of my prayers each night (have to rotate the order of who I'm praying for so they all get mentioned eventually)...LOL.

Counting my blessings and thanking the Lord for them is always part of those prayers.  I believe God always answers our prayers....maybe not in the way we imagined, but always for the greater good.  When I'm feeling down, focusing on all the joys and blessings in my life always makes me realize how blessed I really am.  I think the aging process has made me even more aware of the richness of my life and the people who make it so.
Molly S.
on 4/29/10 9:11 pm - Chicago, IL
Beautiful post!! Thanks so much, that is just what I needed to read today!!!  There is always a blessing in the mess!!!

HW 611  Pre-opW 580   LW 302  GW 238         

(deactivated member)
on 4/30/10 1:48 am
I start my day off thinking of three things that I'm thankful for - they can be anything from silly to serious. I find that helps put me in a good frame of mind to cope with unforeseeable things that are hurtful. It helps me be a hopeful positive person. Sort of the same idea.
(deactivated member)
on 4/30/10 3:03 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
That's a great idea to start the day thinking positive thoughts.....

I'm thinking if I do it in the morning and at night I'm kind of wrapping a pretty bow around my day.  After all each day I wake up it is a gift!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello
sele444 · 0 replies · 422 views
Here's how to lose 5 Pounds a Day!
Siam · 0 replies · 545 views
Hi all
Traleen · 1 replies · 742 views
Plant Based
ebonymc2 · 1 replies · 964 views