Greetings

choose2inspire
on 4/29/10 6:19 am
Atta girl, Mary!  You keep on whoopin' it!  You are so awesome.....when I think of how much you've lost and the fact that you're MAINTAINING it - which is what we all want to do - you rock!
gloop
on 4/27/10 2:33 am
"These lifestyle changes are the same ones I'd have to make with or without RNY in order to maintain a healthy lifestyle and weight loss."

There, you hit the nail on the head.  I think we all realize that surgery is just an assist and unless we get all our mess straightened out we'll be right back where we started so why not try it without the surgery first.  I figure I'd have to do the work at some point anyway so why not just do it without all the added complications that come with having WLS.  Stay focused and you can do it.  Good luck.

I'm in the process of changing my diet, relationship with food and my lifestyle.  I'm in training for maintaining.
(deactivated member)
on 4/27/10 2:47 am
Hi choose2inspire, we're happy to have you join us.

WOW- you've been through 2 bands - that's a lot of surgery on your poor stomach. If nothing else I would think you need to allow your stomach to heal before jumping into another surgery. I think you're wise about not having the RNY and giving yourself time to take another route. You must be so upset and frustrated with that whole experience. As for WLS - that is huge business for hospitals and doctors - not just in the surgery itself but everything else related to it - so yes it is a bariatric mill even if your doctor is genuinely a nice and caring person. It's just the reality of the way medicine is practiced today.

I think you're lucky, you have some wonderful Dr.s who are supporting you in shedding your weight. I have recently, after giving it lots of thought, realized that making profound and permanent changes in your diet is the only way to go - and these changes are for life, not just to shed the weight. There is nothing wrong with your digestive tract, it's in your head in the choices you make to eat. Even our drive for hunger is more about the choices of food that we eat. I think in the long run, if you can shed the weight with a fully intact and functioning digestive tract, then you are better off. The only thing WLS does offer is faster weight loss early out but it comes with a heavy price for some people.

All of us here want to share this journey with you so I look forward to your postings - the good, the bad and the ugly - we can kick you back on the wagon when you need and cheer you on when you're doing well.
toniteach
on 4/27/10 11:15 am - Houston, TX
Hi A!

Welcome!

I can share your journey a little.  I had the LapBand installed in 2007, and had it removed November 2009.  I lost *no weight* with proper band inflation, and had TONS of regurgitation even when all saline was taken out of my band.  I did self-pay to put it in (HUGE waste of $$$), but by the Grace of God, my insurance company paid 100% to have it removed.  I am so curious to read what the *actual* success rate/fail rate of the band actually is.  But it's water under the bridge for me.

So in December 09 I started a VLCD (Very Low Calorie Diet) and it's been a blessing for me.  I'm over half-way to goal, and feel GOOD about myself for the first time in years.

I hope you find your way to inner peace, too, A!  I'll be cheering for you!

Best Wishes!
choose2inspire
on 4/29/10 6:25 am
Hey Toni!

How's the VLCD going?  Can I ask what kinf of VLCD it is?  I'm happy you're feelign good about yourself.  When I lost some weight last year, I was feeling similiarly.  Pretty much on top of the world, because for the first time in years *I* was in control.  It's a feeling like no other. 

PS - I also self paid for the first band.  My BMI was ~36 (same as now) and no insurance company would touch me because I had no co-morbidities.  PCOS isn't considered a co-morbidity.  Fast forward 7-8 years and a band revision in between......now I've got the co-morbidities and the insurance company will pay for RNY.  But one of the co-morbidities I have is diabetes....and one of the complications I have from my diabetes is atrophic gastritis.  Atrophic gastritis causes malabsorption of B vitamins and it also is responsible for some serious anemia (for which I'm currently having IV iron infusions).  So riddle me this: with malabsorption issues already.....why would I deliberately give myself *worse* issues?  At this point, I'm not willing to do that.  :)  So....I'm looking forward to having the Band OUT (May 14) and getting on with a healthier life.  Just like you.  :)
jadeblue
on 4/28/10 2:42 pm - Riverdale, GA
we all know "diet and exercise" are the key  not only for weight lose but for good health. i am new to my lapband and my initial plan is too use my band and a crutch when my dieting efforts fail hopefully that will be few and far in between. in my mind is doesn't make since to get surgery if you not willing to learn to eat properly. so you very well might be able to loose by eating sensibly and exercising. about the doctor thing and the rny---can you imagine be a doctor and the frustrations they experience everytime meds fail their pts with diabetes. so when they feel the can offer what many consider a near cure to the dreadful disease, they are excited and want pts to have that success. i don't think its sinister at all, so much success to you and you be the final judge if you'll have another surgery or not.

choose2inspire
on 4/28/10 8:58 pm
Hello Jade,

Thank you for your opinion.  I am sure you're full of excitement about your new Band and the journey ahead of you.  That's great!  I think it's a great surgery when it works, and unfortunately it just doesn't work for some people.  That's true with any WLS though - I'm not talking down about the Band.  I've seen it work beautifully for some people and I am thrilled that they are able to have success.  I've been dealing with mine for almost 8 years now, and unfortuantely it just isn't the surgery for me.  I've even had a revision due to complications and still it hasn't been helpful.  I've given a big chunk of my like to working with the Band - now it's time to work without it.  :)

As far as bariatric surgeons being sinister - please don't misunderstand me.  I never claimed anything of the sort.  In fact, I genuinely like my surgeon.  I was simply surrpised at how the system worked.  It was like nothing I've ever experienced, and indeed I did feel like a number when I was in a conference room with many other patients, all being instructed simultaneously about their upcoming surgeries.  It was efficient, I'll grant you that!  It was also eye-opening to see how many people just in my local area undergo this surgery every week.  I was shocked.  Regardless of my  appreciation for my surgeon, this is truly a big business.

Diabetes is often helped - or even 'cured', if you will - by WLS.  PCOS is rarely helped by WLS.  They have different pathology, and I'm happy to be working with an endocrinologist who is willing to address both issues as well as my hypothyroidism and auto-immune disease.

I wish you the best in your new life - it can be a roller coaster at times, but when you make changes that ultimately lead to better health, it's a wonderful thing!
toniteach
on 4/29/10 7:19 am - Houston, TX
Hi Jade,

You'll have to ignore me....I don't have ANYTHING good to say about LapBands except KUDOS to those who have it and have lost & kept off weight.  I'm genuinely happy for you...

...and in the same breath, I'm elated for A (Inspire) for getting hers removed next month.  She and I were not right for the band, and it's such a great feeling to have it out.  Unfortunately for me, I will be reminded of the choice I made (to have the band installed) for the rest of my days.....I have 4 small scars and one large scar on my abdomen. 

OK! To answer your question, A, I'm so happy to be over half-way to my goal weight on the VLCD.  The company that makes my meal replacements is called New Direction.  The program (my hospital has been offering it for over 20 years) offers  *individualized* medical care, nutritional plans, and behavior monitoring.  For instance, just today was clinician week.   I weighed in, had my blood pressure taken, had my labs drawn, and THEN met one-on-one with the dietician, then face-to-face with the counselor, and finally alone with the medical director (a doctor, whom I LOVE and ADMIRE!)  Anyway, the program works in 3 stages:

Stage One is all beverage (4 a day, plus half my weight in ounces of water)
Stage Two:  Some beverage and transition to food
Stage Three: Practicing lifestyle habits with an individualized eating and exercise plan

I am in stage one, and when it isn't clinician week, like it was today, I am weighing in, getting my blood pressure checked and attending a 45 minute class with about a dozen other patients led by the counselor or dietician.  It is so educational, much like a Weigh****cher's class, but a bit different. 

Some patients lose most of their weight during stage one, and the last of their weight in stage two.  I am going to lose all of my weight on stage one.  I have been in this program for 19 weeks, and I plan to remain in stage one until August. 

I have not been exercising, it's not recommended since our caloric intake is so low, but my dietician and I decided today to begin exercising for 20 minutes 3 times/week to help me get in the lifetime habit.  When I'm in stage 3, I will exercise 3 hours per week for the rest of my life!  I am totally committed to this!  Before this program, I *knew* I was supposed to exercise and eat right, but would never follow through for long-term lifestyle habits. 

Sorry for the novel....can you tell I'm very excited about this, and glad to share.  I strongly recommend this program to anyone, but understand it may not be offered in your city. 

Cheers!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello
sele444 · 0 replies · 422 views
Here's how to lose 5 Pounds a Day!
Siam · 0 replies · 545 views
Hi all
Traleen · 1 replies · 742 views
Plant Based
ebonymc2 · 1 replies · 964 views