Blood work

HollyRachel
on 4/19/10 1:54 am

Went to the doctor to get the results back from my blood work.  He said I was borderline diabetic...or I guess pre diabetic.  He said it is just a matter of time now before I am diabetic.  It runs heavily in my family.  He says now all we can do is "prolong" it.  So he put me on metformin.

He was more worried about my cholesterol.  He says this kind is hereditary, so no matter what diet I'm on or how much I exercise he thinks I'll still have to take a pill. I went off my cholesterol drugs about a year ago.  I'm allergic to them, and another one that I tried before that.  So the doc wants me to try a different one.  He said it isn't as good as the other ones, so hopefully it will work with what I got.  I'm scared to death to take them.  I've had them since Thursday and I still haven't tried it.lol  My husband keeps yelling at me to take it.  I'm one of those people that statins make their muscles weak, and spasm.  He also has to check my blood again in three weeks because of it.   I know it can get better with excercise and diet, but evidently he doesn't think enough.  I'm just wonder how does he know?? lol  I'm not doctor, guess I should have asked him that.  I'm just really scared of taking this pill!  Think I would rather eat nothing at all, just to avoid it.  I know my sister is on it, and she's not heavy.  So that makes me wonder...but she does eat tons of fast food.   UGHH hate this darn pill!! lol  As you can tell I'm freaking a bit over it.

The good news is that I'm a grandma!!  My daughter had her baby a few days ago.  He's such a little cutie. :)

chellelynn3
on 4/19/10 2:07 am, edited 4/19/10 2:08 am - san bernardino, CA
�Well that is good news, Congratulations on becoming a grandma!! Now im concerned that your Dr. said the only thing you can do now is "prolong" it??? did he not say you could change your diet and exercise to Prevent it? im sorry Dr.'s aggravate me with there perscription med's as an answer for all problems. Im not a Dr. either, but you are right, how does he know? He may think, but he really does not know your future! as for your sis. Just because someone is not fat does not mean that they are helathy, if she eats ton's of fast food and is on medication for cholesterol, then that should show you right there that nutrition is powerful, if bad food can make you sick and feel bad then imagine what a diet of great food can do for you? I say fight it Holly, dont believe your Dr. when he says bad health is inevitable, Diabetes also runs heavily in my family as well. But I think we have more power to determine our own health than we understand or give ourselves credit for! Just my opinion, but I would encourage you to fight for you health, you are WORTH it! � � � ��

Michelle Hendrickson Holistic Health Coach http://www.gracioushealth.net

HollyRachel
on 4/19/10 2:23 am
Thanks. I know my numbers keep flying up  there every year.  I don't know..and you are right (which I knot too) that being skinny doesn't solve anything!  Everyone on my moms side has diabetes, along with some on my dads.  But my moms side, even the skinny had it.  All I can do for that is try!  To be honest, at the moment I'm just worried about my cholestrol more than anything.  It's high right now, and I have got to get it down.  I'm scared to take this pill! Last time I just attempted to take a pill my leg spasmed out like if I was kicking it.  I have a new grandbaby in the house...what if my arm does that and I'm holding him?  My husband says I'm freaking myself out with it, he's probably right.  But I'm still scared to take it.  Wonder if I eat bark and nothing else, if everything will go away.haha
MaryEllen OntheEastCoast
on 4/19/10 3:06 am - CT
Hello Holly - don't be like me and end up having a heart attack because you wouldn't take your cholesterol medicine.  I too have the family high cholesterol problem and went off the meds because of some side effects.  And them, boom, I had my heart attack.  I now take Crestor and it has lowered my cholesterol from 480 to 163.  And, not to scare you, but my cardiologist says there is nothing worse than diabetes and heart disease together.  Best wishes.
(deactivated member)
on 4/19/10 3:31 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
First CONGRATS on being a grandma....how wonderful!!!

So far as the doctors go....many believe things can't be reversed or corrected without medicine.  I'm lucky that all my doctors believe lifestyle changes can improve things.  Given I no longer have to take HBP meds and my cholesterol (all lipids...hdl, ldl, tri) levels are all beautiful I DO believe things can be corrected with lifestyle changes and time.

I'd encourage you to get a second opinon and in the meantime while taking the meds work on making the very best healthy food choices.  Afterall you have a new grandbaby you want to be here for and you'll want to be running in the backyard playing too!

Congrats and go ahead and make the commitment to yourself to take the best care of yourself!!  You can do it!
chellelynn3
on 4/19/10 3:32 am - san bernardino, CA
 You probably are freaking yourself out, try not to over analyze it, it is what it is for now, just go with the flow and do what you have to do to get yourself healthy, dont worse case scenario think, (I know its easy to imagine the worst) But you will be ok, you may have to take this pill temporarily to get you going on the right track, but dont over look the power of good nutrition, rest and good positive thinking.I wish you all the best and hope that you are feeling better and more confident in yourself with each day! take care Holly and enjoy your little grandbaby!  

Michelle Hendrickson Holistic Health Coach http://www.gracioushealth.net

HollyRachel
on 4/19/10 4:11 am

thanks everyone for their comments.  Mary, sorry to hear about your heart attack.  Glad you pulled through and doing better.  That had to be scary!  My aunt just had a heart attack a couple of days ago, and it did some heart damage.  She's still trying to "make it", but today she is coming out of ICU.

I know..I'm going to have to just suck it up and take the darn pill and see where it lands me.  I wasn't even going to post this, but as you can probably tell, I need a little encouragement to take it.  I've been having such bad luck with meds affecting me the wrong way the past two years or so.  I guess tonight I'll close my eyes and take it.lol  Might have to have my husband stand there and make sure I swallow.ha  

But like you Ruth, I still have that hope that maybe I will be okay without meds one day. I would love to be one that doesn't have to take them, while they say it's all genetic.   I just now reached five prescriptions and I'm only 41..so it's time.

(deactivated member)
on 4/19/10 1:00 pm
First, I'm so thrilled to hear your a grandmother now - it must be so amazing holding your grandson. Wonderful news. Oh, I wish I was there, I'd love to cuddle that gorgeous baby.

And having this new grandbaby should be a source of inspiration to work on improving your health. I know you've been struggling with these issues for quite a while and it's only getting worse.

You're just going to have to suck it up and take this new medication because you don't need to have a heart attack on top of all of this. Take it when you have family around so that if something happens they can take care of you or bring you to the emergency if need be. I understand your fear of this medication and it can cause serious problems but it sounds like your Dr. knows this and will be watching you closely because normally they check your blood after 6 weeks, but he wants to do it after 3 weeks. And yes, even thin people eating unhealthy have these same problems - it's the diet, that fast food, highly refined junk is killing us slowly.

How does your Dr. know this? Well it seems that he knows that you haven't made any serious changes in your diet which means that pills is all he has to offer you and he is probably frustrated. Please consider this your kick in the pants to get you back on the wagon. I beg you to make these changes - you know what you have to do. How can we help you?
Corgi Mom !.
on 4/19/10 9:05 pm - sunny, FL
Holly,

Congrats on the grand baby.

Sorry about all the bad health news.  I started out here pre surgery so I hang out here still.  I remember you all the way back but don't remember why you have never decided to go surgical to get the weight off.  I know it is not a correct path for some and I don't knock that.  I truly think that it is a good decision only in the right case but I know for diabetes and cholesterol it can be a lifesaver.  Just wondering.  It is not a complete fix as maintanance can be tough.  I have had great success though I have to watch it now at five years out it is as if I never had GBS.

Wishing you the best.
Corgi Mom
RNY
3/16/05
287/129  bmi 20.2 height  5'7"
Loss is good Maintanance is GREAT
Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly
mwy
on 4/20/10 3:35 pm
Holly, how you doing girl?  Don't make me have to come all the way up North to make you take those pills!  But seriously, you NEED to take those pills.  My husband has hereditary high cholesterol and no matter how strict he follows a diet, his cholesterol is waaaaay high, he'd be dead without the medicine, it's the only thing that controls his cholesterol.  He's been on them for years and has bloodwork every six months...no issues at all with taking them longterm.

Well, you've wondered for years whether or not you are insulin resistant...now you know that you are.  I don't want to be all up in yo bidness but a low carb diet is the best for dealing with it.  Low carb diet and Metformin is how I lost my last forty pounds.

Congratulations again, Grandma!

Mary
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello
sele444 · 0 replies · 422 views
Here's how to lose 5 Pounds a Day!
Siam · 0 replies · 545 views
Hi all
Traleen · 1 replies · 742 views
Plant Based
ebonymc2 · 1 replies · 964 views