Battling weight-related depression

thenambsaidxx
on 4/6/10 8:09 am
Hey everybody. Just wondering if anyone out there is also battling depression brought on by their weight/size, or have battled it before. It's so hard to get through the day sometimes, and though I am trying to make the changes needed to shed all of the weight I need to lose, I'm stuck in the here and now, and right now I feel fat and ugly.

Venting time now lol. On Easter my family had a big party with easter dinner[don't even ask how well I ate, especially after this lol] and it was the first time a bunch of my aunts and uncles had seen me and my cousins in a long time. So my aunt comes in and tells my one cousin how beautiful she is, and how she looks sooo much like her mom. She tells my other cousin how gorgeous she is and how she must have all the boys head's turning .She tells my OTHER cousin how she gets lovelier every time she sees her. Then she turns to me and says "Hi, Amber, nice to see you." She didn't tell me I was pretty...or that I was good looking...just, nice to see you. Maybe it's a dumb thing to be upset about, but at my age, looks are everything to everyone so if you're fat, especially in a family of [mostly] beautiful skinny people, life can look pretty grim sometimes.

So I was wondering about anyone who's battled depression brought on by their size or weight, and any tips they might have. Thanks

4mygirls
on 4/6/10 9:24 am - Canada
Hi there.

I can relate to this on so many levels!!  I am, without a doubt, the largest person in my whole extended family - Mom & Dad's sides.  I don't really have issues with my Mom's side, but my Dad's side is another story!  They are all very slim and take a great deal of pride in how they look - if they gain 5 pounds, they go on a diet!  That type.  I used to be the apple of my Dad's eye, and was pretty much favored by the family.  Skip a few years of not seeing the family, add an additional 100-150 pounds - they won't even look me in the eye, hardly say a word to me and almost behave as though I don't exist!  It is extremely hard.

I started counseling in February because I truly feel I am battling depression.  I figured it was all weight-related, but after a few sessions with the counsellor, I am starting to think it is both a cause and effect.  I believe I have probably battled with depression for a number of years - and I used food to make myself feel better.  But, the more weight I gained, the worse I felt, so the more I ate - and it just became a vicous cycle.

I wish I could say that the counselling is helping, but I don't think it is.  It was nice to get some stuff off my chest that I can't say to anyone else, but that was about it.  I was hoping to do this without drugs, but I think I am going to see my doctor and ask for a prescription for anti-depressants.  The counselling might work - but I don't have the money to spend on the amount of counselling it would probalby take! :)

I will share the one thing that my counsellor suggested that I think might help.  I haven't been consistent about applying it - but maybe you could try it.  She suggested I put sticky notes in a lot of places that I would see on a regular basis and repeat what was on the note (with conviction) 5 times.  It is supposed to be a positive message - such as "I am beautiful person - inside and out".  She maintains that you can "trick" your mind into believing something you tell it.

Sorry - I'm probably not any help here.  I just want you to know you are not alone in feeling like this - sometimes just knowing that helps.

If you want to talk or anything, let me know.  Take care.

Heather.
(deactivated member)
on 4/7/10 6:44 am
I went to therapy a few years ago and found it helped immensely and I strongly suggest you try it along with antidepressive medication to get you through the rough patch. It may be hard to find the right therapist so you sometimes have to switch therapists - I did. I can't begin to tell you how effective it was - I went weekly for a couple of months and it just reset my whole way of thinking - I got rid of that stinking thinking and replaced it with healthy thoughts. I'm also not taking antidepressants anymore as well. Remember we can't change others, we can only change ourself and how we deal with life.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello
sele444 · 0 replies · 422 views
Here's how to lose 5 Pounds a Day!
Siam · 0 replies · 545 views
Hi all
Traleen · 1 replies · 742 views
Plant Based
ebonymc2 · 1 replies · 964 views