difficulty #4725 in weight loss

peachpie
on 4/5/10 3:23 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15
I went food shopping this past weekend. As I came home and unpacked the groceries I realized that the freezer was busting a the seams.  I went down to the deep freezer to add stuff in there and that was kind of full too. 

Learning to balance out buying the new "lesser" amount of food we (I) consume is hard. I imagine this is what it was like for my father as he went from cooking for family of 9 to just himself & my Mom??

In the freezer there were meats/veggies for meals yet to be cooked and cooked meal leftovers that I freeze with the intent of eating another time (to save me from cooking again). But before I can do leftovers I realize how much uncooked meats/veggies etc I have in the freezer that I need to try and cook before freezer burn strikes them. Its a vicious cycle. And then there are the things only I eat that I couldn't possibly finish before it goes bad. Learning to toss "perfectly good" food is a hard thing for me to do. 

I could probably save a lot of money if I could get some kind of balance in eating/freezing/throwing away!!

mrsq
on 4/5/10 5:39 am

This forum about money saving I read has challenges where you don't go to the store for a couple of weeks. Just eat out of your pantry or in your case your freezer. It sounds like your a bit overwhelmed by the amount you have put up, try not to buy anything else to add and use from oldest items first. I think you have young kids right? so that might be harder to do if they don't like what you have stocked up on.

(deactivated member)
on 4/5/10 6:16 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
LOL , I can so relate! I grew up in a family of 8 and it's only within the last year that I am able to shop without stocking up for a world war.  I used to have a full sized (LARGE size) refrigerator/freezer in the house that was jammed packed PLUS a FULL SIZE Upright freezer that was as large as the refrigerator/freezer and that was full of meat, fish, chicken, frozen meals, cheeses, breads, etc etc....
Now I have a new fridge which has the freezer drawer on the bottom and the biggest part is the double door fridge part on top which has some cottage cheese, lots of homemade yogurt, a container of soy milk and eggs and is packed full of fresh vegs and fruit.  I use the large "deli" drawer on the bottom to store veggies...no cheese or bologna in my house.  :-)

Over a year ago when I was getting ready to sell my house I decided to not buy any more food (other than fruit and veg****il I had emptied out both freezers...... I then sold the house and rented a small place until I bought the new house...during that time I learned to buy just enough for about 2 weeks and so now i continue to do the same.  

I cut out most canned foods so my pantry is not as full anymore except when they have my favorite cereals, tea or coffee on sale and then I stock up.  :-)

It's not easy but the fun part was I got real creative when forced to match meat in the freezer with other frozen foods....

Try it one month...don't buy anything you would freeze and see how much you can get thru. 
One thing I learned is that if the prepackaged meal is on sale this week, it will be on sale again in a few weeks so I didn't need to have 30 of them in my freezer!!!!  
(deactivated member)
on 4/5/10 10:54 am

I envy those people who are so organized that they know everything in their freezers and they rotate and use things up before they go bad - I didn't get that gene. LOL. I have a large freezer in the basement and I haven't checked what's in it for way too long - I'm embarrassed to look in it.

I like the suggestions of just eating out of your freezer until you get it under control. Just think of all the money you have stored in there and what you will save if you don't buy more food for awhile.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello
sele444 · 0 replies · 422 views
Here's how to lose 5 Pounds a Day!
Siam · 0 replies · 545 views
Hi all
Traleen · 1 replies · 742 views
Plant Based
ebonymc2 · 1 replies · 964 views