Recent Posts

TV2Night
on 8/10/10 1:16 pm - Hackettstown, NJ
Topic: RE: Dr. Alexander Abkin
I also have had surgery by Dr. Abkin and Dr. Bertha.  Dr. Abkin did my Gastric Bypass 5.5 years ago. I did have strictures after that and knew something was wrong when I was no longer able to keep foods or fluid donw.  My experience with both of them is they are excellent at diagnosing issues.

When you call with a potential problem just listen to what they ask and answer it honestly.  They will make it all better.  Strictures are an easy fix with an Endoscopy and they put in balloon and dialate it back open.

I help their office with some of its work.  It's a huge practice and the docs are working at getting extra people to be able to get our new people trained and get things running smooth again.  So have faith and give them a chance.  I am educating the new front desk people about the surgeries so they can  be more scpecific to what your issues are and who you need to be put in contact with.

Office gets very busy as we have people coming to see the surgeons, patients returning for Nutrition or Physch evaluations, Medically supervised weight loss class, pre op classes and support groups.  Very Very busy place.  I wish you all much success.... it's been an awesome journey for me!

Pat
allisarin
on 8/10/10 5:16 am - Bayonne, NJ
Topic: RE: I can't do Wegmans tonight!!
I did not make it last night either. I was sick
mom2wow
on 8/10/10 3:45 am
Topic: RE: MEDICAID AND MEDICARE SURGEONS LIST!
Call Americhoice, they should be able to give you a list of doctors that accept Americhoice.  Some surgeons are listed as Bariatric surgeons with the insurance company, others are listed as general surgeons first (since bariatric is a subspecialty).  Just be aware that there may be no doctors near you that accept the insurance you may have to travel.

For example near me the nearest doctors that accept my insurance are 45 minutes to 1hr 15 minutes away.
NJShoreDee
on 8/9/10 3:04 pm - Barnegat, NJ
I think you are right, I am pretty sure he does take it, also there are some new surgeons in Southern Ocean County at SOCH, you could try there too.
Darlene~hoping to have surgery February 2011

gabyta_21
on 8/9/10 6:53 am - North Plainfield, NJ
hola soy nueva en esto solo quierosaber si alguien sabe que algun doctor acepte el seguro de Americhoice por favor enviar numeros de telefono de los doctore gracias

Translation:

hello I am new in this only quierosaber if somebody knows that some doctor accepts the insurance of Americhoice please to send numbers of telephone of doctore thanks

(deactivated member)
on 8/9/10 3:02 am - Piscataway, NJ
Topic: I can't do Wegmans tonight!!
Gina...wherever you are...  I think you can't go tonight, and neither can I!
I hope you get this message!  Maybe Linda will hostess? :)
(deactivated member)
on 8/9/10 2:36 am - Piscataway, NJ
Topic: RE: Today's Wow Moment...
Does anyone watch Jersey Couture? This is what I think of...you in the know, know what this is like...

Go Gracy,
Go Gracy,
Go Gracy Gracy Gracy!!!

Congratulations to you!
soblessed
on 8/9/10 12:26 am - NJ
What you all are saying has been my experience, as well.  I researched for two years before comitting to the surgery and I know that the whole practice are top notch. 

I've seen others say that Dr. Abkin is brusque or lacks bedside manner, but I found him refreshingly to the point.  I didn't pay him to hold my hand.  I paid him to perform a technically complex and potentially dangerous operation and to provide me with the lastest known information about it, both pre-op and post op.  This guy knows his stuff.  He has done several thousand surgeries and has been selected as a trainer of other bariatric surgeons in the laprascopic approach. 

Anybody have any complications from the surgery?  I hear he has minimal complications from his surgeries, but this information is word of mouth only.  (Note:  I didn't say NO complications; I said minimal).  I thought I might be developing a stricture, as I was tolerating less food, but he felt it was related to going from semi-solid (easy) foods to full solid (harder) foods.  That's exactly the kind of expertise I pay him for and for which he is so respected.

Glad to hear about everyone's excellent experiences!
---Tisha
wife to M
mom 2 Z

"Pray, hope and don't worry"---------- Padre Pio
knailnhair
on 8/8/10 10:47 pm - Milford, NJ
Topic: RE: Today's Wow Moment...
Whoooo hoooooooooooooooooooo way to go Gracy!!!! Hopefully you won't be in it long either!!! ;)

Kimi
Everything happens for a reason..Just believe...

knailnhair
on 8/8/10 10:45 pm - Milford, NJ
Dr. Abkin did my Realize Band surgery May 2009. He is the absolute best there is!!! You will not be disappointed at all! He's a no nonsense doctor...tells it like it is but is very caring! Very knowledgeable and very gifted!!! Chose him and you'll be in great hands for life!!!

Kimi
Everything happens for a reason..Just believe...

Most Active
Recent Topics