Help

Joe D.
on 6/2/05 11:38 am - Malaga, NJ
I know of a surgeon in South Jersey that does the same thing (about the same amount of money, not sure exactly how much). Apparently the purpose is make SURE you get the necessary education about the surgery and that you're really serious about it. I understand it also includes several get-togethers (Christmas party, etc.) during the year. But jeeez.... If you can't afford this, I definitely would find another surgeon. There are plenty of competent doctors around and you have insurance that will surely cover one. Many surgeons require no pre-op education. But your presence here indicates taht you're smart enough to know you need some (all you can get really). Fortunately, it's abundantly available for free. Good luck on your journey! Joe D. Distal RNY 5/9/05 Dr. Iqbal 446/402/199
ksnksn
on 6/2/05 12:38 pm - Clayton, NJ
I have Dr. Boyton. These are not just pre-op education classes. You are enrolled in the gym, weekly support groups, you have a casemanager, and a nurse. You also get two year follow up for nutrition and support. There are other things that come with it. This is a serious decision you are going to make. You should want to have as many irons in the fire as you can. But since this is your journey only you can make that decision. Cost isn't everything. You can email me since I am with the doctor in question.
maryann F.
on 6/2/05 1:28 pm - north arlington, NJ
Every single person who has this surgery, takes it seriously......This is to life altering a decision and dangerous not too.........I think for any surgeon to request that kind of money in addition to what insurance covers is outrageous....Weekly supports groups free, Casemange and nurse free, nutrition and yearly follows ups free its called.........Good Health Care........Most Gym's are monthly now.... a gym memebership $33 dollars a month.......But I understand that WLS is becoming competitive so some Doctor's will make money any way they can........ If your stupid enough to pay oh well........ Just this person opinion!!!!! Maryann
Stephanie K.
on 6/2/05 1:35 pm - Marlton, NJ
I'm with LeeLee N on this one. I'm also with Dr. Boynton. ALL of Virtua's surgeons require you to go through New Beginnings before Gastric Bypass. I'm not thrilled with paying the hospital more, but the program is proven to work. They also have payment plan so it's not all out of your pocket at once. However, I am thrilled with my surgeon so it's worth it to me. It's a very comprehensive program that deals with all aspects of gastric bypass before, during and after surgery. Any surgeon can do the surgery, but how many teach you what to do with the tool they've given you when they're done? It's definitely not a sham. It is an education program designed by Virtua to teach you how to live as a gastric bypass patient.
IrishIze
on 6/2/05 11:50 pm - NJ
Well, I'm glad you are thrilled with your surgeon and feel you are getting your money's worth. As far as the program being 'proven to work', I would ask how long it has been in existence, and what is measurement of success??? From my point of view, I got a 'good deal' too. I joined the gym - $69 for three months. I also have a gym at work that I can use free of charge. The rest of the items you listed were INCLUDED in the cost of my surgery and covered by insurance. I too am thrilled with my surgeon. I did my research and found what I needed in a surgeon. I believe he seriously considers each case, and he has given me the tools I need to be successful in my weight loss - before, during and after. He told me he is committed to me for the rest of my life, and he considers his patients like family. I believe I have been WELL educated and WELL cared for. Oh, and by the way, none of this cost me anything out of pocket. IMHO, there are a lot of people jumping on the WLS gravy train, and prospective candidates need to be careful. Doing your research and becoming educated doesn't just go for finding surgeons and support groups - you have to be educated about everything that's out there....there are a lot of folks just waiting to prey on desperate people. Again, just my opinion. Hugs, Nancy -110
Nannette
on 6/2/05 11:16 pm - Toms River, NJ
Run, don't walk to another surgeon. While I agree with support meetings and nutritional counseling, mine were supplied by my surgeon at no additional charge. My insurance covered my RNY 100% with only office co-pay charges - less than $200 all together!
Most Active
Recent Topics