second thoughts

plove53
on 5/9/05 4:39 am - Clifton, NJ
I had my sleep apnea test last Thursday and it was the worst test I ever had! First they glued a bunch or wires to my head and I could not sleep well... I woke up around 2:30am and could not get back to sleep... so they said I do have sleep apnea... so they put a machine on me that blow air in my face... I HATED IT! I could not have it on my face... they said I did sleep because I woke up at around 6am and they said I did not snore or stopped breathing. Now I'm getting a machine I DO NOT WANT! I don't know what to do after surgery they will hook this machine up to me so now I'm having second thoughts. My GF says it's up to me until I say I may change my mind then its not up to me anymore. -phil
jlewisjr
on 5/9/05 5:16 am - Elizabeth, NJ
Phil: Having the surgery and losing the weight will greatly relieve ths sleep apnea to the point that you probably not need the machine for long. A lot of folks who have WLS and lost the weight no longer have sleep apena. Take it from someone who has "retired" his machine. Consult with your surgeon and discuss this before making any decision. Jesse
(deactivated member)
on 5/9/05 5:58 am - Paradise Regained, NJ
The machine takes some getting used to. Sleep apnea is a potentially fatal condition - I would suggest using it gradually until you can tolerate it. You will be *amazed* at the difference in your sleep quality. I have been off my CPAP machine since about the 10th day after surgery. P~
JanineNJ
on 5/9/05 8:15 am - NJ
My mother and husband both have sleep apnea and both sleep with a CPAP machine. They both hated it at first but now neither will sleep without it, not even a nap! Mom has used the machine for 10 years, my husband for 4. The quality of sleep you get with the machine versus without is amazing. There are different masks you can use if you dislike one over another. My mom prefers the "nose pillows" my husband prefers the mask. On another note, the first thing that usually is corrected after surgery is sleep apnea and snoring. I was snoring preop and stopped snoring about 2 months post op. My husband actually pokes me once in a while to make sure I'm alive You probably wont need your machine after a couple of month post op. -Janine
walter A.
on 5/10/05 11:25 am - lafayette, NJ
Phil, your time as a emt, has made u a light sleeper, but you are aware of sudden death, more than you want to, comes with the job, the cpap will help big time, i like bipap, its a smother and can be more toleralble, ive had sugery to allow me to use the bipap, i wont be with out it, had it ten years, hope to loose it after surgery. i do have ambien for those nites when i seem too awake . fighting it. it helps to get pass the falling out part.
Joe D.
on 5/16/05 3:49 am - Malaga, NJ
Hi Phil I see your surgery is coming up pretty quick. I suggest you TRY to use your machine until surgery, and let me tell you my story. (I'll keep it short.) I got my machine about a year and a half ago. I hated the sleep studies and couldn't sleep for crap during either one. I wondered how they possible got enough data to conclude that I had sleep apnea, but at the time the diagnosis helped me make the case for the surgery, so I lived with it. I had a hard time getting used to the mask and seldom used it. As my surgery approached, I used it a little more but it really inhibited my sleep. Suring my surgery last week, they hooked me up to it, but they noticed I wasn't doing well on it. I'm not sure if it was the settings or the NG was keeping it from making a good deal, but they just gave up and started giving me oxygen through a nasal tube. Much more comfortable. I'm home now and haven't gone back to the machine. (I haven't been rediagnosed.) MIND YOU, your sleep apnea may be worse than mine and may be a grave threat to your health. But I'm saying unless that's the case, I wouldn't sweat it. Use the mask when you can take it. (I often pulled it off in my sleep.) Just do what you have to do to get through your surgery. Gook luck! Joe
Most Active
Recent Topics