How do you tell your boss?

plove53
on 3/28/05 10:21 pm - Clifton, NJ
I going through all the pre-op testing (still not sure if I want to get it done) I have not said anything to my boss or co-workers yet. How should I break the ice? Because my sister died due to complications from surgery, and a co-worker had two family members died with this surgery (all had bad hospitals and docs)... Well that's not the main reason I figure I'll be out of work for around 3-4 weeks and I was just out work for a couple of weeks due to a broken arm. I do work in a small department for a large company. So any advice??? Thanks, Phil Ps: I have more to say because I still do not know if I want to do it... and I think the doc has me down for May.
VelvetMichelle
on 3/29/05 1:48 am - East Brunswick, NJ
Hey Phil, Well, there are a couple of options with this one. Some opt to not say anything at all. Once it's time for surgery, simply tell your HR department that you'll be out due to surgery. Most surgeon's are very discreet. And they can provide paperwork that simply says "Out of work due to recovery from surgery" with no mention of what type. For me and some others, it was hard to keep to myself. I am really bad at keeping secrets, and I know that my office(although large) is very tight knit and gossipy. So I decided to be upfront with people. I also have a co-worker who's brother passed from the surgery, I simply haven't discussed this with her and have asked others to not tell her out of respect for her as well as myself. I have a date of 4/18/05, although it will most likely change due to denial by insurance. My manager and most of my immediate co-workers are aware of what I'm doing. If you're going to take this route, I suggest being ready for questions... there will be many. Yet another option would be to tell the 1 or 2 people you feel will keep the information to themselves and keep them in confidence. Just let them know what you're thinking about doing, then keep them updated. It's a tough decision to make. Good luck! :hugs: Peace, Michelle
jlewisjr
on 3/29/05 3:42 am - Elizabeth, NJ
Phil: I would go with the need to know theory. I just told the people who needed to know about my surgery and the others found out after when I felt the time was right to tell them. Jesse
(deactivated member)
on 3/30/05 1:26 am - Paradise Regained, NJ
I told my direct boss when I started my pre-op journey. Once I was well along, I told everyone. I'm an office manager for a large company & there would have been no way to hide it. I didn't *want* to hide it. I feel there are enough misconceptions about this surgery - I wanted to do my part to educate everyone. My company was 1001% supportive and are very proud of my accomplishments. I'm also aware that not everyone works for such a great company - you know the culture of your company. P~
walter A.
on 3/31/05 11:42 am - lafayette, NJ
FMLA-family medical leave act, the details of the act are posted on the buletin board along with other mandated work rules/such as minimum wage,overtime rules and workmans comp regulations. basically if you work for a company ,have accumalated over 1200 hrs durring the previous 12months, employer has over 75 employees in a 10 mile radius,(not absolutly sure on the head count rule) you are entitled a leave of upto 60 days to care for a cronic health condition of your own. payment is based on the health benefits praticed at ur company. generally the immeadiate supervisors are not privy to private health conserns, at my place of employment they dont ask, just a call that i m not comming to day, a hr department will forward a form , must be provide to you in 3 days, and your doctor will respond to the hr department. fmla can be granted on a intermittent bases for as little as 6 mins if your employer has atough time letting u go to the bathroom. or maybe every thursday for half a day so yu can get therapy.physical, or what every, Your employer will comply or there is a gov. agency to enforce it. be union, be proud.
Most Active
Recent Topics