Am I doing this right ??

Jean P.
on 3/24/05 7:02 am - Toms River, NJ
I had lap GBS on 2/7/05. I weighed 227 the day before surgery. When I was released from the hosp on 2/9/05 I weighed 237 lbs. Now I am alittle over 6 weeks postop and weigh 205 lbs. I recently increased my water intake and was told to have 80-100 grams of protein per day. I am trying to do that with shakes and bars. I am basically following an Atkin's Diet with low carb and high protein. I have the Atkin's breakfast bars in the morning and may have Atkin's icecream pops at night if I desire one. Am I doing the right thing ? I have a hard time exercising because I always tired. I feel the weight loss is slow.. I expected much more weight loss on a steady basis. PLEASE HELP.
Christine N.
on 3/24/05 8:58 pm - Parsippany, NJ
Jean, If you are feeling tired, you may need more protein. I find that when I feel lathargic, a protein drink helps me. My nutritionist recommended not eating the protein bars, she also doesn't believe in the Atkins diet. I don't know if you body absorbs more from the drinks. At 6 weeks, you have lost 32 lbs. I think that is wonderful. I am 6 months out and I also had the lap GBS 9/7/04. I am down 80.5 lbs. I also started out at 289. The more weight you have to lose the quicker you lose it. Do not get discouraged, it sounds like you are doing teriffic. Try to exercise, you will feel the energy once you get use to it. It will also help your skin tone. I have been working out 5 times a week. I lift weights to try and tone up so I don't have hanging skin. The most important thing for you to follow is water, protein and exercise and you will start to feel great.
Jean P.
on 3/24/05 9:56 pm - Toms River, NJ
Christine, Thank you for your reply. I am really trying hard to do this. I will up my protein drink intake (right now I'm having an extreme smoothie for breakfast - 35 grams protein). Monday I go back to work - I'm a Hospice Nurse so I'll be moving around alittle more. I'll hold off on the protein bars for now and try to increase the protein thru food and drinks. Sounds like your doing great with your weight - good luck. Keep in touch. Jean
barbara G.
on 3/26/05 9:24 pm - bayville, NJ
Hi, Jean I live in Bayville and I'm a hospice nurse, too! I'm hoping to have sugery in April. My weight is about the same as yours was pre-op, so we have alot in common. How do you feel about going back to work this Monday? Good luck! Barb
Most Active
Recent Topics