SO SCARED.......

jloveland
on 3/7/05 5:22 am - NJ
I am having my surg. on wend. ( 3/9 ) and I am soooooooo scared.....I have almost called 3 times to cancel it. The biggest thing I am scared about is not making it out alive ( I know I know I shouldn't worry about that ) I am sure many others have had the same worries and were scared right before there surg. Keep me in your thoughts and if you have any helpful ways to get by...please pass them my way Thanks ~Jess~
KathyB1971
on 3/7/05 5:30 am - Lyndhurst, NJ
Jessica, First of all...........breathe. Second, have a hug (((((((Jessica)))))))). Third, bury all the negative thoughts along with all the bad habits and your old life and rejoice in the fact that your new life is going to begin soon. I envy you and hope to be where you are VERY soon. Nothing in life worth having is easy. I will pray for you Wednesday and hope everything comes out alright . Accentuate the positive !!!!!! Kathy
mariec
on 3/7/05 7:58 am - NJ
OK, that was my biggest fear too. Sounds dumb, like OF COURSE, that's EVERYONE'S biggest fear... but really, I wasn't too concerned with complications, because I know my surgeon monitors patients extremely carefully and would notice anything abnormal, and would also take my complaints (if any) very seriously - so I knew any complications would be caught before they became too serious. (BTW I had no complications at all.) My ONLY fear was dying. The only thing I can tell you is how I got myself through it. I read every single memorial on the memorial page here on this site. There were 95 deaths and I read every one of them. I "categorized" them: a whole bunch were totally unrelated to WLS, just on memorials because they had been members. Then the WLS related deaths could be divided by two - either a pulmonary embolism (blood clot that went to the lungs), OR those who became septic because of a leak. Well, for myself, I consider those two things to be complications (as opposed to dying while on the table so to speak). And I knew exactly how I would be monitored in the hospital. As far as I can remember, there was only one person who died on the table, and it sounded like that person had many co-morbidities. I took a peek at your profile, and you and I are the same height and starting weight... and you seem very healthy other than MO. Me too. No co-morbidities, like diabetes, high BP, sleep apnea, etc...none of those. So, I could only say to myself that statistically it is about the same risk as other types of operations. MY SURGEON has a ZERO death rate, and extremely low complication rate. And *I* am very healthy, and relatively young (36), so there would be little reason to think I would be prone to complications. I know this is long (LOL) but I also know you are looking for someone to be specific, which is what I'm trying to do. Bottom line: you need to know YOUR surgeon's statistics for deaths (if any) and complications. You need to be confident that he/she will monitor you very carefully in the hospital, and that any discomfort or complaint you have about how you feel will be taken seriously and handled quickly. If you are confident in all of those things, then you should consider your youth and health on your side and go forward with confidence. Hope this helps. You want to be at peace by Wednesday! Don't hesitate to call your surgeon and speak with him/her on the phone if you have any last minute questions or need reassurance. Good luck! Marie 295/270/ goal 145
SAVAGE
on 3/7/05 8:23 am - Howell, NJ
Dear Jessica, well now missy hasn't the big guy upstairs alsways taken care of you sweatheart?? He will know to and with all us wearing our knees out you are going to be fine!! Good luck you will be home before yo know it! Love Joycelyn
collk
on 3/7/05 8:46 am - Long Branch, NJ
Believe me... I was also fearful of the same thing. I just kept reminding myself of the reasons I was doing this. I also had a bad experience once with surgery many, many years ago and had to keep reminding myself that this time is different. Being in therapy helps as well! Keep the faith. All will be well!!!
beach_37
on 3/7/05 9:15 am - Belvidere, NJ
Jess, I am only 4 days post op and there is really no easy way out. I happen to have some zanax that I took which helped with nerves a few days before. I am still in pain and am tired so it is hard to type right now. But I will be thinking of you and everything will be fine. Stay strong!! See you on the LOSING side! Jean
jmdacc
on 3/7/05 9:29 pm - Bridgewater, NJ
Jessica, Congratulations on sharing my surgery date! March 9th is a great date. I had my surgery last year on March 9th. One of the reasons I wanted to have my surgery when I did was because, aside from the excess weight, I was relatively young and healthy, and I wanted to do it while I was in the best possible condition. I checked your profile, you and I are similar height and you don't weigh much more than I did. I am sure you will do very well in surgery. Be nice to the anesthesiologist and he'll take care of you. I have lost one hundred and fourteen pounds in my first year. I can't tell you how it has changed my life. It really hasn't changed my life, it's more like it's given me a life the way God meant for me to have it. I just feel so much better, physically, emotionally, mentally.. the weight was dragging me down in every aspect of my life - in more ways than I knew. You're going to be just fine, the hospital stay is over before you know it. Good luck, and congratulations again! Oh, I almost forgot - TAKE PICTURES OF YOURSELF. Front, side, rear, from your most unflattering angle, take pictures. They really become invaluable and your body starts to change. I can't even believe that I was the person in my "before" pictures. It keeps me grateful. Jen 266/152/140?
Renee C.
on 3/7/05 10:50 pm - Ewing, NJ
Jessica: Just had my surgery on 2/28 so I know what you're going through. I also had big butterflys up until the moment the anaesthesiologist gave me a little "pina colada" ahead of the full anesthesia. Keep busy - don't sit and think or fret, it only leads to bad nerves. Look at the pictures on "before and after" here on OH over & over if you need to, and imagine what yours will look like soon! Focus on why you wanted to do this - what are your goals- focus on the positive. Have a great friend with you if you can before you go into surgery and / or when you wake up. Wake up knowing you did it; you are on your way! Best of luck! : 'ing for you! Renee
IrishIze
on 3/7/05 11:32 pm - NJ
Hi Jess - I think if you asked any person who had the surgery, they would say that they too had the same fear. It is normal and natural to be afraid. BUT - try and relax if you can; put it in God's hands or your surgeon's hands. Maybe you can try and look at it as a procedure that is necessary to SAVE your life. In 36 hours, the surgery will be over and you'll be well on your way to a new healthier life. I have never regretted my decision, and I'm sure you'll do just fine. Before you know it, you'll be back here telling us how well it went!! Hugs, Nancy -102
Most Active
Recent Topics