I'm New Here

Tara K.
on 2/10/05 12:39 pm - Middletown, NJ
Hey Everyone - I'm new to this forum - I'm 22yrs old and I am hoping to have the band...soon! I have my first consult. next week...All of your posts have been really helpful in answering most of the questions I have...Has anyone dealt with Oxford for their insurance?? I haven't contacted them yet and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with them...if so please let me know. Thanks!!
KathyB1971
on 2/10/05 1:31 pm - Lyndhurst, NJ
Hello Tara and welcome!! I also am in the very early stages of researching surgery as an option. I do not have any experience with Oxford but I would suggest you check out the insurance information here on the site. Good luck on your journey. Kathy
AngelaEsq
on 2/10/05 1:42 pm - Toms River, NJ
I have Oxford. I lucked out b/c my surgeon is participating with Oxford...I didn't know that before I went to the information session. This means all I had to pay were co-pays and nothing out of pocket. I feel like I won the lottery! Anyhow, I don't know your stats, but I am 27, my bmi is 50+, no co-morbidities, and I was approved within a week of my doctor submitting the request! What luck! My surgery is Feb 23. Email me if you have any more questions! Angela
JanineNJ
on 2/10/05 8:50 pm - NJ
Oxford was amazing for me- I went in for my surgery consult on Jan 22, 2004 and my surgery was scheduled for March 12, 2004. All that was required for me was my PCP's note saying he recommended the surgery for me... No meetings, no long diet info, no shrink consult... easy peasy! Had the best surgeon- his office did all the paperwork for the insurance- all I had to do was sit back and wait for the day to come up Good luck to you on your journey Janine
Laura H.
on 2/10/05 9:30 pm - Belford, NJ
Hi Tara WELCOME !!!! It looks like we live in the same area what Dr. are you planning on using ???? As for Oxford I'm afraid I can't help you there but I'm sure if you call them they will give you all the info you need. Good luck !!!!! Looking foward to getting to know you !!!! Laura -70 lbs !!!!
Tara K.
on 2/10/05 9:52 pm - Middletown, NJ
Thank you all for replying!! I am planning on using Dr.Borao --Contrats on the 70lbs!!! That's awesome!
collk
on 2/12/05 11:48 pm - Long Branch, NJ
Welcome Tara, Though I now live in Neptune, I will always look at myself as being from Middletown since I grew up there. I am scheduled to have the lap band on Feb 28th with Dr. Hans Schmidt out of Hackensack Medical Center. I had researched WLS for quite a few months before I started the actual process. I have Oxford Health Ins. and my policy tells me that I am only responsibe for the 250.00 hospital co-pay, as long as everything is taken care of in network. So, I went to the Oxford web site and researched surgeons to find the ones in network, and then researched the surgeons. Both the sergeon and the hospital i am using are in network so hopefully all will be well. The surgeons office tells me that Oxford pre-certifies within 3 days and you just need a 40 bmi. We will see as I have my pre admission testing on the 15th, and have no authorization yet. I am hoping to take care of that on the 14th, with a phone call. Good Luck on your Journey and let me know how you are doing. Sorry for the post being so long. Colleen
Debbie M.
on 2/14/05 7:31 am - ocean county, NJ
Hi Tara, i had Oxford health insurance, and i have to say they were absolutely wonderful to deal with, all i had to have was a BMI of 40 or more, and also the reccomendation from my PCP, no shrink, no sleep apnea tests, no scoping, they paid 100 % of the cost, only my 1 time co-pay to the doctor of $30.00, they did say i would get a bill from the hospital, as per my contract stated for 300.00 per night co-pay, not to exceed 1500.00, but almost 1 year later and still no bill. I know this is a personal choice as to which surgery you are going to have, but i have to wonder why the lap- band??? and not the gastric, think long and hard b-4 you make your final decision. good luck to you debbie
Most Active
Recent Topics