reclining

sweetaim2
on 1/22/05 12:46 pm - Monmouth Junction, NJ
I've been told by people who have had the surgery that sitting in a recliner has been very confortable. I'm having surgery this Tuesday & I don't have a one. Can anone suggest a good way to be confortable while recooperating?
Krissy
on 1/22/05 10:15 pm - Cranford, NJ
Hi Amy, I didnt have one either so I borrowed my friends! It was a lifesaver for me. I am a baby when it comes to pain and I slept in it for a month. If you can not get a hold of one try putting a bunch of pillows behind your back when in bed. Lots of luck to you! ~Kristin
maryann F.
on 1/22/05 10:54 pm - north arlington, NJ
I slept in my recliner for the first two days, its hard to get comfrotable in bed. Try using lots of pillows to cushion diffent postitions. Congrats and good luck to you
JanineNJ
on 1/22/05 11:08 pm - NJ
My biggest problem post op was sleeping on my back. I've always been a stomach sleeper. My best sleep was propped up on the couch. My savior was the sofa arm, it was hard to get up in the beginning and had trouble getting out of bed because there was nothing to lean on from a lying down position. Prop up some pillows and get comfy on the couch. Another hint, keep a small soft pillow around (like a sofa throw pillow, I love those bean bag type ones you can find everywhere now). Press it against your stomach (as much pressure as you can tolerate) when you have to do stuff like cough or sneeze or sit up. Made a HUGE difference. Good luck to you =) Janine
Becoming M.
on 1/23/05 1:23 am - Lakehurst, NJ
I didn't have a recliner and I always slept on my side or stomach pre-op. Since sleeping in a 'reclined' almost sitting up position was my only option for weeks, I slept in bed propped with lots of pillows. Since I got used to it and the weight loss has stopped the snoring that used to happen when I was on my back, I'm now more of a back sleeper than I used to be. A recliner would probably have been great, but you can find a way with or without one. One think that was great for me was one of those Squish pillows. I hugged it to my stomach all the time, especially if I had to cough. Best wishes. Denise
SAVAGE
on 1/23/05 2:35 am - Howell, NJ
lot.s of pillows to prop you up in bed with! joyce
jersey girl
on 1/23/05 9:52 am - MONMOUTH COUNTY, NJ
When they say lots of pillows, they mean "Lots of pillows". I found the bed too uncomfortable to get in and out of, and just ended up living on the couch. The back of the couch offers support getting up and down, and the arm rest helps hold the pillows in place. I also took an extra set of cushions from the basement couch, and used them to line my couch, and raise it approx 8". If you think you will be more comfortable in a recliner, you might be able to rent one. Good luck to you, and let us know how you are doing. JG 284/151/149?
kristophers
on 1/24/05 7:11 am - NJ
Be careful when sleeping in a recliner postop! I spent my first three days home in it - without being reclined (even during sleep). By day 3, both leg's had swollen up, requiring me to get an US on my leg's to rule out a clot. The results were negative. As soon as I got home, I layed down on the couch for the first time. I felt a tingly warm feeling in my calves. Within a day of actually having my feet up (including sleep), my legs returned to normal (As well as my mental sanity!). -kris (Lap RNY 1/6/2005) (-40 today!) 445/405/???
Most Active
Recent Topics