Getting VERY close!

l0ract
on 1/16/05 9:32 pm - Seaside Heights, NJ
Three days to go!! I'm excited...but also scared. I'm nervous about pain. I don't do well with pain. Right now my stomach is hurting (with nerves) more as each day gets closer. I'm sure this is normal. Also, I live alone and my children are out west so, I'm on my own. I'm just a little nervous about thatbut, ok. Carol
Franny M.
on 1/17/05 7:11 am - Central NJ, NJ
I am confused on the emailing responses. Man I wish I was at your point now instead of just starting. Praying for a speedy recovery. Give a holler if you need to. Fran
SAVAGE
on 1/17/05 3:29 pm - Howell, NJ
CArol, take a deep breath and breath some more to relax! Sometime we are our own worst enemy. Pain control is a serious issue. MOst post ops have a PCA pump which has a button you push and usually can get a med about every 10 minutes which you push is yourself so that part can be in your control. Secondly when they stop they pump and give you pain meds to take the rule of thumb is pain medicine every 4 hours usually. SO if you are in the hospital you simply ask the nurse to bring it as soon as it is due which like I said is usually every 4 hours. Lots of people do not know you need to ASK for pain meds as it is given PRN or as needed which is how the orders are written So you just stay on top of it and ask the nurse to please bring the medicine as soon as you can have it. you also might tell your doctor all this in advance and he may order some xanax or something as such for anxiety to help you relax. you really need to communicate your fears to him so he know going in you have issues with pain. I myself take pain meds all the time from my fibromyalgia so you can bet you sweet behind he and I will have a LONG talk on Wed whn I go in to do my consents. I will tell you with the PCA pump is does take a bit for the med to fully control your pain as you have been cut and all the nerve endings are saying OUCH so make sure you hit the button every 10 minutes is usually how they are set for dosages so it will make you happy sooner than later. I hope this helps. the main thing is to let them know your in pain, sometimes the nurse call call him for an extra bolus or dose of pain med tohelp it all work sooner. don't forget to BREATH and relax, take control fo this fear and beat it! I hope i have not scared you tro death but this is how it works in a hospital setting as I work in one. Ask if you think it is time and if they say not quite then say pllease bring it in ASAP and most nurses do. good luck joyce
Most Active
Recent Topics