HELP! Why the intolerace towards these foods??

Susan Hegarty
on 1/9/05 12:53 pm - Easton, PA
Hi everyone I am a couple days over 6 weeks post-op and I have been tolerating foods pretty well from day 1. Bit there are certain foods I just can't eat "comfortably" like chicken, mushrooms and pork (to name a few). I chew it very well but these foods sit like a brick in what feels like my chest and throat and then I burp continuously. The other day I had 2 bites of soft broccoli (the flower part) and it sat in my throat for like 4 hrs!! Is anyone else having or have had this problem? What is everyone eating and tolerating well?? Thanks, Susan 374/326/190
SAVAGE
on 1/9/05 4:46 pm - Howell, NJ
Susan, congardulations on your sucess so far, i am pre op but maybe the broc is to gasey and the chicken and pork wait a little longer i have sen post say they can't handlethe chicken or pork and hambuger for awhile. I knowthe list i have to follow it says 8 weeks for meats like prok. I hope it gets better for you! say a pray my surg is 2/1 whhhoooo hooooo joyce
goddesstre
on 1/9/05 9:03 pm - Harrisburg, PA
Hi Susan how are you? This is what I can tell you. I of course as 2 full weeks post op and I don't have problems with chicken or salmon.. I have used light mayo and have used light butter and skim milk and things have gone very well.. No problems as of yet... I have to wonder about what vegetables are good for us to eat? I have had some mushrooms and green beans, they were okay... but I guess it comes down to the individual, everyone is different... I have read about people eating "chocolate" of all things very early and they have no problems!!! Course I don't find that to be beneficial, since it is something that may have put you in this position in the first place..LOL..Anyway, I am wondering about our vegetables... but again, I would say everyone is different and its a trial and error....
lorihauck
on 1/9/05 9:43 pm - east windsor, NJ
RNY on 11/09/04 with
Susan....How are you..I ahven't been on...sorry just hectic as you know with Em and her surgery..things are better but I have had pain in my side for nearly 10 days now it comes and goes...but to get back to your ?..I cant eat too many soft veggies..I only can do raw....chewed well I dont have a prob,. but soft ug! throw me a call when you can..Hugs Lori
barginfinder
on 1/9/05 10:05 pm - Egg Harbor City, NJ
Susan, Yep!! I had the same problems at 6 weeks. Anything that was too dry, or too heavy came right back up!! Here is the good news. Just because you can't eat it now doesn't mean you can't eat it forever. I am now 10 weeks out and I can tolerate chicken and fish and beef and just about any other kind of food. I have learned my pouchy signals that something is not going to stay down by the time I finish the first bite!! Some helpful hints Fat Free gravy is your best friend. It will moisten anything with just a meager shmear on the food. If your pouchy is still being grouchy try getting a mini food chopper and pulsing the food a few times to break it down before eating. Worked wonders for me. I would mix the meat with the veggie, pulse and eat YUM!! If you would like a different taste try Carb smart Alfredo or cheese sause the same way as above for variety. Try cooking your food by steaming, crockpot, or poaching versus frying or baking. Moist is better at the very early stages. Just remember that you stomach is new like a babies and it needs some TLC for the first few months. Hang in there and I know this will pass too Hugs Diane
Krissy
on 1/9/05 11:16 pm - Cranford, NJ
Hi Susan, Not to worry sounds like you are just fine! You will find that you will be dealing with this for at least a couple of months. One day a food will be your friend and the next day it isnt! But like everyone has said so far keep your foods very moist when cooking. The crockpot was my friend for the first year. Lots of luck and continued success!! ~Kristin
TaraStewart
on 1/10/05 1:40 am - Willingboro, NJ
Hi Susan, I so know what your going through. Fortunately you will find that in time it will pass. Your still early yet and your still healing on the inside. It took me about 4 to 5 months before I could eat a peice of chicken - literally. No matter how small I chewed it, it always got stuck; pork was a killer to me also. Keep your meat's moist like everyone said and give it time. Unfortunately, that stuck feeling in the chest is horrible. I use to try to tolerate it, but couldn't - so I'd force myself to get sick, not that I recommend that for you, but that was the only relief I would get. Good luck Tara
sherri
on 1/10/05 3:42 am - New Brunswick, NJ
Hi Susan, You sound like you are doing great! I still can barely tolerate Chinese food. Brocoli is never a good choice for me either. I can however eat as much steak, pork, or veal as I want. Chicken though does not really sit well. Other than that, I have no problem with foods. I try and stay away from cakes and pies and really sweet stuff too. I might have one bite but I know pretty quickly to stop there because my stomach starts to gurgle.
Most Active
Recent Topics