Seeking a heads-up from some MEN who had RNY

George C.
on 1/3/05 3:45 am - Morris Plains, NJ
Taking the plunge in a couple weeks, and was wondering if some of you guys out there can help me out with what's on the horizon..i.e., hospital/surgery experience itself, first week home, when you started to exercise, timing of weight loss, problems you may have had, etc. I have read a lot of people's experiences, but it seems mostly women have posted a lot, and not so many guys..and I assume the situation is a little different between men and women. Thanks so much..just trying to stay positive about the whole thing, and would like to get an idea of what I am heading into in a little more detail. I appreciate it!
jlewisjr
on 1/3/05 5:21 am - Elizabeth, NJ
George: You are correct. Men react diffrently from women. Feel free to check out my profile. It should answer most of your questions. Best of everything, Jesse
Jim M.
on 1/3/05 7:15 am - Brick, NJ
George, First of all Best of Luck....I hope when you are approaching your 1st anniversary you feel as wonderful as I do. The hospital was rather quick. The two days were fairly uneventful The only difference of opinion between me and the nurses was how frequently I got up to walk. I figured the sooner I walked the better I was. The one nurse in Morristown told me I had a head like a brick...lol! The pain was pretty much what I expected, I managed with tylenol in the day and Oxycotin for the nights the first week. Than just tylenol and heating pads. I was on the treadmill in 7 days.SLOOOOOOWw and easy, but on it none the less. I lost 13 pounds in the first 9 days. 34, in the first month, 100 pounds in 7 months, and just shy of a year I am 123 pounds down!! I am now 6'3" and weigh 249 pounds, a number I haven't seen since I was 19. (I am now 42...lol!) Pants went from a 52 waist to a 40. My shirts used to have more XXX's than Ballentine Ale or a dirty movie, now regular XL is fine, a little baggy but hey, it works!My best friend was 2 months behind me and has lost 150 pounds and is now 219. He and I differ with the protein shakes, I take them without fail, he fails to take them. Both of us say our only regret was waiting to long, but we both agree we would do it again tomorrow. I too had trouble checking with other men and found a friend in one guy , we have exchanged emails for two years, just started phone calls and hope to join our families together in the summer for dinner. All because of RNY surgery. Good luck my friend, drop me a line if you wish. Jim
Most Active
Recent Topics