Sorry I'm late with my 2 Year out thoughts!

JC N.
on 12/30/04 11:17 pm - Hamilton, NJ
How time flies away, it only seems like yesterday since I saw my surgeon reading my chart across the OR before the surgery started. . .the last words I remember him saying to an OR nurse was "hang the Cipro and start running it. . ." I knew in that instant there was no turning back, my life would change and that I was in very good hands. The next I knew my surgeon came in to the Recovery "holding room" where I was doomed to hang out at least another hour and a half. Again, he rescued me and told the nursing staff to let me go up to my room since I was fully cognizant and alert. I did not know it was to be the best thing I ever did for ME. November 29, 2002, I received a gift for which I am eternally grateful. The gift I received was my LIFE. It seems so long ago and it seems like yesterday. Now that I am at another milestone in my journey I must thank those who gave me the chance to live again and impacted my life so profoundly. My Diabetic Endocrinologist, Dr. Jerzy Kolaczynski, who started me down the road of researching all there was to find about this surgery; my surgeon, Dr. Vishal Mehta, whom I will always remember as being a skilled, caring, and compassionate surgeon; the members of the support group, Begin A New You OSSG;. While the group has been through many changes and transitions, every person that had and still is out there, and Colleen, Tammy, and Janean of BSCI and Tom Kinder of Bariatric Advantage, I couldn't have done this without the support and inspiration each and every one of you have given me. Thank you for being there. I will never forget what you have given to me and I will give it back to others whenever and wherever I can to spread the message of hope. This holiday season will hold a special place in my heart as each of you does. The morning of November 29, 2002, (which was also the day AFTER Thanksgiving); it seems like it was just yesterday at times. I did not know or understand how profound the difference would be in my life. It has been an adventure to say the least. I have learned so much during this time and have met and spoken to so many other people and their families about my journey. It was not an easy decision and it is not the same choice for everyone. The road has its ups and downs; its turns and potholes. Even though there may be these conditions on the road it has been a wonderful drive. Laughter, happiness and so many other "old" emotions are now "new" emotions again. Changes I have noticed have been, sitting in a narrow chair with arms and no longer getting pinched, having the car seat up and the steering wheel down without rubbing against my stomach, bending over, fitting into bathroom stalls, fitting neatly on a toilet, fitting behind chairs at the back of a banquet table or in between tables without bumping into anyone, rediscovering being feminine, feeling that little "special" we all want to feel, fitting into a regular hospital gown, not being told that I was "over the weight limit" of diagnostic equipment for health screenings, being able to go into a department store and get "regular" sized clothing. In my new "attitude" I have felt more self-confidence, more positive, more outgoing and self-assured. Support is recognized for the important role in continued success for the gastric bypass patient. Just because we now have a "new" body and have lost tremendous weight don't be fooled into thinking we are now "cured" of morbid obesity. The habits we formed over many years may never go away! Being around others who are facing the same challenges help to keep us focused and encouraged. The support of my friends, family and other patients have helped me tremendously. I always learn something new. I have learned when I help to support another person going through the same battles I reinforce my own support. But I also have to be able to recognize when I must put myself first. Ongoing education is important to long term health and success. There are many new studies on morbid obesity and the treatment of this devastating disease. It is our responsibility to be sure that we stay in touch with the weight loss community to keep ourselves aware of new developments regarding our health and continued success. Patience, perseverance, forgiveness, and some lessons in humility have been lessons along the way too. . .now my future is "paying it forward" to help someone else who needs to know that a healthy new life is truly possible. . .thank you all again for being there! Judy Begin A New You OSSG
FranCrouch
on 1/1/05 1:35 am - Forest, VA
Dear Judy, Congratulations on your successes in the last 2 years. I can't help but try to imagine myself in your position. You must feel so wonderful and fulfilled. I am now officially 12 days post op and feeling great. I want to thank you and all of the others for all of your wisdom and advice which have helped me on this new journey immensely! I will continue to come to this site. It gives me such comfort to know I am not alone in this. God Bless and have a wonderful New Year! Fran
JC N.
on 1/2/05 2:25 am - Hamilton, NJ
Hi Fran! Thank you for your kind words. . .I remember being right where you're at right now. . .hang in there. . .it will be worth it. . .I know how personal a decision it is for each person and it is not always an easy decision. . .But at least for me I have never regretted the decision I made and would do it all over again, with no hesitation and probably not even take the time of a heatbeat in doing so. . .hang in there. . .feel free to contact me anytime! Judy Begin A New You OSSG
Most Active
Recent Topics