Question for the ladies...Period???

Susan Hegarty
on 12/26/04 7:34 am - Easton, PA
Hi all I hope everyone had a very happy holiday! My question is this...I have always been irregular with my period before wls, but I was told it will go back to normal after surgery and I was also told that having wls can bring on your period. Well I had mine (11/17) a week before surgery and haven't had it since. No cramps, bloating, nothing . Is this normal and what is the scoop on this subject? Susan
jmdacc
on 12/26/04 9:46 am - Bridgewater, NJ
Hormones are fat-soluble and are accumulated in our excess fat. As you burn your fat, those stored hormones will be released back into your bloodstream, so get ready for some mood swings and make sure you take precautions to prevent pregnancy if you are sexually active. I was concerned that with malabsorption, I may not receive a high enough dose of oral contraceptive so I switched to another delivery method. As far as normalizing the frequency and duration of your period, I doubt that would happen overnight. I don't think it's the same kind of mechanism like it is for diabetes medications, where the surgery has such a profound effect that sometimes people can go home from the hospital off their meds. I think it will take time for your period to become regular, if in fact it was the extra weight that was making you irregular. I know plenty of skinny chicks that are irregular too. I was on birth control before surgery and continued on it in the hospital and when I came home, so I remained on schedule. I'd say check with your surgeon if/when you become concerned. Jen
Susan Hegarty
on 12/26/04 11:31 am - Easton, PA
I just wanted to say YOU LOOK FABULOUS!!! Oh and thanks for the info too . Susan LAP RNY 11/24/04 -34 lbs.
barginfinder
on 12/28/04 11:49 pm - Egg Harbor City, NJ
Susan I also had mine the week before surgery on 10/29 and I just got my first regular cycle last week. From what I understand this is perfectly normal. I am regular like clockwork and I skipped 1 month also with no symptoms!! If you go more than another month I would question it, but I think you are most likely reacting to the stress of surgery and the new diet on your body. Hugs Diane
Evelyn C.
on 12/29/04 12:30 am - Bloomfield, NJ
I too have been irregular all my life so I was confused when the day after my procedure I did have a period.. Well 10 months later......I am 11 weeks pregnant. I did have a couple of cycles but they were nothing like normal. I think in the last 10 months I had 6. I am happy and shocked because I needed extensive fertility drugs to have my daugther. Evie
suemc624
on 12/31/04 9:02 am - vinelan, NJ
Hi. I wouldn't complain at all about not having my period since my surgery. Unfortunately, I got mine 1 day after my surgery. Boy, wasn't that alot of fun. Anyway, if I didn't ever get mine again, I wouldn't be happier. Seriously, tho, you really should ask your doctor if you're concerned about it. I would. Sue
Most Active
Recent Topics