Going back to work...HELP!!!!

Susan Hegarty
on 12/18/04 4:56 am - Easton, PA
Hi All , Well the vacation is over for me. I go back to work on Monday . I have actually been ready to go back for a while now. I feel great and my energy level is up there . Can anyone give me some suggestions as far as planning my meals. I work 11:15am-7:30pm so I am not on a regular schedule. What types of foods do you all bring to work with you and how do you deal with all of the "curiosity" from your coworkers? I have a Christmas luncheon Tuesday, so this will be my first time going out for a meal since surgery...Any suggestions what to eat and how to order? I work behind a desk so I should be fine physically. But one of my biggest problems in the past was constantly munching junk food all day long and I don't want to start grazing. So with all of that said , if anyone has any suggestions or care to share your experiences It would be greatly appreciated . As always, thanks for listening and God Bless... Susan
Kathy S.
on 12/18/04 7:36 pm - Rio Grande, NJ
Susan I teach school so my schedule is a little different. First thing I do is take a 24 oz coffee to school. This takes me an hour or more to drink. You would do good having a protein drink before you leave for work. I eat mostly cheese like two string cheese for lunch. Keep some nuts or a small protein bar in your desk. If you drink your water or fluids during the day you are not hungry. Go home and have fish, chicken , veggies, or salad for dinner. I think I am hungry and when I start eating I realize I cannot eat much. My favorite thing is cheese, cheese, and more cheese. I hope I helped a little. It takes time even now My mind thinks like the old me. For your christmas Luncheon, the first time I went out I order mozella cheese. I also recommend white fish, tuna and don't be afraid to take it home. I wouldn't have a drink yet. I waited until last week to have my first martini. Which was 6 months. Order a protein and just take your time. Also I told everyone about my surgery and people will say can you eat that. The old me would have been insulted the new me is happy that they care. Let me know how you make out and eventually I would love to have a Jersey reunion with all of us on this site. Maybe we can organize something. Happy Holidays Kathy
barginfinder
on 12/18/04 10:51 pm - Egg Harbor City, NJ
You may want to try simple proteins like cheese sticks, yogurts, and sugar free pudding to keep down the munchies. Store them in a lunch bag with a freezer pack under your desk. Save your hot meals for home ( ex breakfast egg and dinner chicken, fish etc) I don't work, but I have found this to be the best way to not get hungry when I am out of the house. As far as the party... If you are on solids then order a small appetizer, non fried, like shrimp ****tail. You could also go with a soup of choice. Broccoli cheese or clam chowder being great choices. My only suggestion is to find out where you are going Monday and check out the menu online or with a call so you know what to expect. Also I wouldn't suggest trying anything you haven't tried at home. You wouldn't want to get sick on anything in front of co-workers Hugs Diane
Linda 1.
on 12/19/04 11:22 am - Northern, NJ
I always keep string cheeses, turkey jerky, packets of tuna, shrimp, peanut butter, and sliced turkey breast around for lunches.
jmdacc
on 12/19/04 11:44 am - Bridgewater, NJ
When I went back to work, I had a protein shake for breakfast in the car as I was driving in at 07:00. Then I would have a coffee and water during the morning. I would have lunch at 11:30. I don't like packed lunches and my job had a cafeteria so I would have whatever the cafeteria was making, and I would just eat the meat, and vegetables if there were any. If they weren't having anything good (like, if it was pizza or something fried), then I would just have soup and worry about having good protein at dinner. I used Polly-o string cheese a lot in the beginning but as soon as I could have meat I switched over because cheese is more fat than protein, and even though it's not carbs, it's still a boatload of calories. I have maybe two or three string cheeses in a week now, and that's all the cheese I have. Fish was great for me in the beginning, like crab, flounder or scrod or scallops (which I never liked before surgery but they were heaven-sent soft protein sources afterward). About five weeks out I could do shrimp (they can be tough) and lobster. I was able to do chicken early too, and red meat by eight weeks - you just really have to chew it a ridiculous amount. I did have some cold cuts earlier on, but they're so processed and salty, they're not the best option. Tuna fish was good.. I used to snack at work a lot too but when I came back from surgery I really made an effort to break the habit. I realized that the snack urge was the strongest when I was bored or when I was overwhelmed. Whenever I got that feeling that I wanted to go to the vending machine I would go for a walk inside the office instead. Coffee also works as an appetite suppresant for me (and helps to keep me regular as well.) However, it can be really irritating to your stomach, and caffeine is a diuretic which means it causes you to lose fluids (water). My doctor doesn't really want me drinking it and tries to get his patients to limit it to one - two cups a day. So sometimes if I'm hungry I'll have a cup of coffee instead. I try to add extra water on the days I go too heavy on the coffee. Good luck at work! Pace yourself. Jen
Dawn H.
on 12/26/04 7:45 pm - Jersey CIty, NJ
HI Susan Hope the holidays went well for you. I work 7am till 7pm so this is h ow I do it Protien shake in the morning before work coffee at work Bottled water cheeze for snacks lunch is usually soup afternoon I nibble on a protien bar dinner at home some kind of meat < well actually fish or turkey> and veggies if I can fit them in Late n ight snack < this is bad> a sugar free ice cream bar carb solutions or something similar .. high in fat I know.. but OH so good LOL Good luck to you Dawn
Most Active
Recent Topics