skeered

kristophers
on 12/1/04 12:48 pm - NJ
I am scheduled for surgery (RNY) on 12/20/04 with Dr. Meilahn in Philly. I've been in the hunt for over six years (started when I was 21; I'll be 27 at the end of this month). My mother had a "guinea pig" version of it over 20 years ago (at UoP). First surgeon I met with was in Willingboro, NJ. I avoided the first after a few things changed between my first and second visits. Initially the surgery was to be done in Mt. Holly.. During our second meeting, I learned it would be done in Willingboro. Reservations about the change in venue, the venue itself, and insurance problems held me out. I've later heard that this surgeon is no longer practicing bariatric surgery. I met with another surgeon in Camden. This time, my employer was going to remove the WLS-exclusion to allow me to proceed. Unfortunatly, the unorganized nature of the office drew me to withdraw myself from proceeding. Here we are, 5+ years later. I'd seen Dr. Meilahn on Ch. 6 (Philly) as well as in a few postings here and a "Philadelphia's Best" article. He's lost noone. The office is organized and has been helpfull beyond belief. He's the best at what he does. I've made my way through all preop testing, with only anemia being flagged. I've started my Flintstone vitamins as well as iron to beat this. As I said above, I'm scheduled for the 20th. Honestly, I'm scared. I know my mother made it through successfully, as well as quite a few others whom I've met along the way. While I trust in God should something happen during the procedure, it's that fear of the unknown that bugs me, but it doesn't bug me to the point where I won't go through with it. I'm 400+lbs and have been heavy since I began my teenage years. I want to get married and live to see my kids kids. I want to walk down a beach without feeling guilty for my looks, or have little kids point me out to their parent's. I want to be able to fly without having the need to book the seat next to me. Thanks for listening, This will be succesful, -kris
(deactivated member)
on 12/1/04 12:55 pm - Paradise Regained, NJ
Kiddo~ Research & a positive attitude are at least 50% of the success of this surgery and it sounds like you've got both. You will be fabulous P~
TaraStewart
on 12/1/04 9:34 pm - Willingboro, NJ
You will make it through just fine Kris and as far as the fear of the unknown after surgery, don't worry about that one bit. It is scarey to not know what lies ahead, but it's not bad at all. I am one year out and would do this over a million times over again, if needed. You take baby steps, listen to your doctor and get your support from the website or a support group and your gonna be great. Small steps. If your worried about being hungry after surgery, don't fret okay. I think the look of food turned my stomach for months after surgery. I was so uninterested in food and only ate what I needed to just to eat something and get nurishment. Your not going to be hungry. Best of luck to you Kris. Your making the right choice for you.
kristophers
on 12/2/04 8:44 am - NJ
Thanks all All the kind words and the load that came off of my back as a result of posting this message have really helped. 18 anxious days to go, -Kris
sherri
on 12/2/04 9:56 am - New Brunswick, NJ
Hi Kris, You will do great. Keep your faith and your attitude positive that truly is half the battle. You'll do well! Sherri
*linda* J.
on 12/2/04 10:01 am - belmar, nj
Hey Kris, The thing I liked most about your post was that you waited until you felt comfortable with the doctor! Didn't rush into WLS, took your time and figured out what was best for you. That's a wonderful sign and shows you'll be very successful with losing your weight! My older Sis also had the surgery about 18 years ago! she is still my big sis, bossy and all! love, linda
barbara G.
on 12/9/04 7:29 am - bayville, NJ
hi, kris. guess what! i'm skeered,too! the good thing is that your new life will be starting soon. i still have to meet the surgeon. best wishes. you da man.
Most Active
Recent Topics