CAN SOMEBODY HELP ME PLEASE?

Melissa... H.
on 11/27/04 5:25 am - Egg Harbor Township, NJ
I am a 23 yr. old single mom of a beautiful 22 mth.old little boy. We live in NJ & are blessed enough to live w/ my mom. I now weigh probably about 350 lbs. at 5'6" & I don't know what to do. I've been researching the gastric bypass for about a year...but not taking it lightly...it's very scary when you have children to think about. I don't have insurance & have no income to pay for surgery...I take care of my son full-time & my mother is disabled & not able to help as much as she would like. I have been trying to find foundations who may be able to help, but so far I have had no luck. I don't know if there are any doctors out there who are willing to donate their services, but if there are I would love to find them! I don't care what I would have to do to be eligible...I would be their #1 spokeswoman if they let me! I'm scared to death that this weight is going to kill me! I want to be able to see my son grow up...I'm the only one he has...he needs me to be here for him. I can't even get down on the floor to play w/ him because it's almost impossible to get up.I am in constant pain everyday...my knees scream everytime I walk. I can't even carry my son for 5 min. w/out being out of breath & breaking a sweat. It's so embarrasing. When he sits w/ me it's like he's just lays across a mound of fat that I call my belly.I can't go swimming w/ him or take him to the beach. I can't fit on amusement rides so if he wants to go...someone else has to take him & if they can't go on w/ him he misses out. It really breaks my heart. I feel so ashamed. I am missing out on so much of his life...I feel so bad for him...that he doesn't have the mom he deserves. I love him so much, but I don't think he'll ever know how much because I can't do all the things in life w/ him that I want to. I don't want him to think that i'm just lazy, but it's so embarrassing to keep saying i'm sorry...but mommy is just too big or mommy just can't fit.I just wanted to talk to someone who knew what I was going through & could maybe point me in the right direction.If anyone could help me or point me in the right direction to find some way to get this surgery it would mean the world to me. I am willing to go through with all the pain & learning a new way of living because nothing is more painfull than knowing you are missing out on your life because of something you just can't fix on your own. I need help. Please can anyone help me? Thank you so much for taking the time to read this...it really means the world to me. Please feel free to e-mail me privately as well...I know that it's easier. My e-mail is [email protected] Thank you again & good luck to those in my boat & congrats to the people who have surpassed it!
Glenda-H
on 11/27/04 5:42 am - New York, NY
Hi Melissa Do you have medicaid or any other state funded medical insurance? Some of those state insurance will pay for surgery if its medically necessary. I understand how you feel. Don't give up. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Glenda
Melissa... H.
on 11/27/04 7:40 am - Egg Harbor Township, NJ
Thank u sooo much for replying to me. It means a lot! Medicaid won't cover me...they say I am not eligible. The only other state insurance doesn't cover adults anymore! Thanx for your prayers...I hope they work! Thanx again Glenda! Melissa
L C.
on 11/27/04 6:01 am - South Jersey, NJ
I almost cried reading your posts. You could try and contact some of the Baractric Clinics and see if you could participate in any trials they might have, or if you can afford financing try Mexico for a much cheaper price. I am having Lap Band (Adjustable Gastic Banding) done Jan. 6th in Mexico for about $8,200.
Melissa... H.
on 11/27/04 7:44 am - Egg Harbor Township, NJ
Thank you for replying to my posting...it means a lot to me. As far as, contactng clinics & such...I am currently in the process of doing so. Thus far I have had no luck We'll see! The whole Mexico thing just scares nthe crap out of me...I've heard so many horror stories. I don't have anything to be able to finance anyway...lol I hope that you are careful in your journey & wish you the best! Good luck! Melissa
Kathy S.
on 11/27/04 9:49 am - Rio Grande, NJ
Melissa I do not know how state insurance or medicaid works, but I know my surgeon takes medicaid. Why will they not cover this operation? Your history sounds makes it a medical necessity. I knew a woman who was over 65 and had medicare and that covered her operation. Hope you get some answers. Good luck Kathy
Talnkiss
on 11/27/04 11:53 pm - Robbinsville, nj
I just reda that a surgeon does take Medicaid, why aren't you eligible if u are not working & a full time Mom?? Maybe call & fight them?? You could always try it won't hurt to try Smile, it will get better Sharon
Sweet N.
on 11/28/04 5:51 am - paterson, nj
Hi Melissa, Sorry to hear about your plight. I am truly touched by your story and I am praying for you. I am a Director in a large Preschool in NJ and I have seen moms who did not have HI and they were referred to Social Services and was given Medicaid. You probably need to contact Social Services where you live. If you have no luck with them I know over here if you go to Family Planning with female issues and you don't have HI they refer you to someone who can get you started. Try them it wouldn't hurt your chances of getting it. Good luck. Sweet
l0ract
on 11/28/04 1:58 pm - Seaside Heights, NJ
If you apply for SSI then you will get on a different Medicaid plan. Obesity is a disability. This is what I did and my medicaid wil pay for it. There is only one Dr. that I know of in NJ who takes it though. He is Dr. Elliot Goodman in Teaneck. I am just finishing up my evaluation in the next two weeks. I've been getting together the money for these evaluations. they are the only ones that medicaid won't pay for. I've been making knit hats and selling them at flea markets and bizaars around the state. If the determination is there...the money will come.
Sweet N.
on 11/29/04 9:56 am - paterson, nj
Hi Melessa, I made some calls and found out there are 3 doctors (including mine)that accepts Medicaid. I am scheduled for surgery 12/10 unless the date changes for whatever reason. Anyway I have Medicaid (Amerigroup HMO) and YES they do cover WLS. I am having surgery at the Barnert Hospital in Paterson NJ.Hipe this helps. Sweet
Most Active
Recent Topics