Need your help, panic attacks

Susan Hegarty
on 11/17/04 3:23 am - Easton, PA
Hi everyone, my surgery is getting very close. I finished all my pre admit testing and got my surgical clearance from my pcp. I am on a full liquid diet until the day before surgery then nothing from midnight on. This is the thing....I am having very bad anxiety/panic attacks. Last night on my commute home I had to pull the car over, open my window and breath. It was a scarey ordeal because I never experienced these things before and I travel dark backroads and major highways. I also find that heights and closed spaces are bothering me more than usual. I have started crying for no reason and really feeling scared about the surgery all of a sudden. Maybe it's normal to be feeling this way? If anyone can share their experience and how they got through this it would be a great help to me. Thanks for listening all and god bless. Susan
DJ
on 11/17/04 5:26 am - Parsippany, NJ
Susan, I must have missed something here... when is your surgery scheduled? I'm sure you'll be fine. My prayers are with you and so are many others I am sure. You have been so open about your process with the insurance. I can't believe it is moving all so fast for you.. Best of luck. Hang in there.. it'll get better.
Susan Hegarty
on 11/17/04 6:32 am - Easton, PA
Hi D J My surgery date is 11/24, next Wednesday.. Thank you for all your prayers and support. Susan
erotomaniac
on 11/17/04 3:59 pm - Livingston, NJ
Well, I don't really blame you for having panic attacks, this is a huge deal. But you've never had them before? That's a little strange... but not abnormal, I'm sure. I've had a few panic attacks in the past, not fun I definitely have experience with crying for no reason too, I'm Bipolar, so I know how you're feeling except this stuff happens to me regularly... so consider yourself lucky! Anyway good luck, and I'm here if you need someone to talk to
SpyderS
on 11/17/04 5:35 pm - Swedesboro, NJ
Susan, This is my nickle's worth of advice - take what you need and leave the rest. Perhaps you might consider getting some counceling before surgery? Panic attacks are a sign that something deep-rooted is wrong. And since WLS is a very, very major event in your life, perhaps a part of you is unsure of your decesion. This is a surgery where you HAVE to be mentally ready to accept the surgery, healing, and lifetime changes that go along with this. It all looks so good from a distance, but now it is here in your face, you are overloading. I'd talk to your surgeon about this and ask his advice about some counceling before your surgery. Don't be in so much of a rush now, that you may do something you were not ready for. The surgery will always be there. Go in with your eyes AND mind 100% wide open. Spyder - 357/278.5; -78.5 pounds
Most Active
Recent Topics