PATS this Monday, "Help"

Susan Hegarty
on 11/12/04 2:07 am - Easton, PA
Hi everyone, well my date is set. I am having my surgery on Wed 11/24, right before Turkey Day!! My surgeon is making a special exception to fit me in by the end of the year. I will be going to Robert Wood Johnson now instead of St Barnabus. Anyways, I have my pre admission testing this coming maonday and reality has set in and I am so scared, I have never had surgery before and this is such a huge step for all of us having it. I am so ready but like I said, very scared. My question is this. What will I need to bring to the hospital with me andwhat kind of stuff do I need to get for when I come home? Any advice or info would greatly be appreciated. God is good and I know he will be with me every step of the way..Thanks everyone. Susan
(deactivated member)
on 11/12/04 6:56 am - Little Egg Harbor, NJ
The jitters are perfectly normal :} I wasn't scared so much as anxious to have it overwith I don't remember having to take anything for preadmission testing, other than your insurance info and some ID. If they want you to bring anything, they'll let you know..The days immediately prior I had to take a urine sample to rule out pregnancy, but that's all I can remember having to take. When ya get home, I'd suggest using your incentive spirometer ( if they give you one), a good hugging pillow for when you have to cough ( my hosp. provided one ), some gauze and paper tape. I'm 5 wks out and still have a small incision that hasn't quite healed. Get your pain script filled, even if you don't think you'll need it....never know. Loose fitting clothes..especially in the waist. Sugar free popsicles were (and still are!) my favorite things on earth right now. It was really hard for me to get in all the water, and that helps...plus it just feels good on your throat. Broths...SF jello...protein shakes/powders/Isopure...decaf teas....and water! Really...you don't need much for the first couple weeks....just get plenty of rest and take care of yourself! I truly wish you the very best! Take care! kar
Kathy S.
on 11/12/04 7:48 am - Rio Grande, NJ
Hi Susan I never had surgery and everything just went fine. Just pack underwear and something to wear home. They want you to wear the hospital growns. When you get home, just have diet jello, juice, and water. Each doctor is different. My did not let me have food for three weeks. The best advice I got was from a nurse's aid. Only eat 2 oz. every three hours. I had a small medicine cup that was exactly two oz. I did what she said and I had no problem. Also surgar free ice pops. I was extremely thirsty and need them. Robert Wood hospital, where is that. If you have any problems or concerns e- mail me or call. Best of luck. Kathy
SANDY P.
on 11/13/04 2:02 am - goldsboro, NC
Susan WOW you are soo close and i am soo happy for you i have only been post op for 5 days now and am doing great. i really am. I have to say for the hospital bring you own pillow and and very comfy pjs cuase i know that most of the time they will let you wear them. Also i know that i for got and would had wish i had a calling card with me just a cheap on witha few mins just in case there was a time you are feeling a bit down and need to call a friend. they are the only few things i can say i wish i had and glad i brought with me. so GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS
Susan Hegarty
on 11/14/04 3:36 am - Easton, PA
Thank you Sandy and I wish you the best of luck in your recovery. Susan
sherri
on 11/14/04 5:56 am - New Brunswick, NJ
Hi Susan, I am one of Dr. A's patients too. You will not need clothes in the hosp. bcaus Dr. A does not want you wearing street clothes until you are ready to go home. At home, make sure you have some low salt beef and or chicken broth and some sugar free drink. I drank about 1/4 cup of grape or apple juice diluted with about 1 1/4 cup of water. The sugar in that much of a dilution was not harmful for me, but everyone is different. One member suggested a phone card. If you have a cell phone, you should bring it, but you cannot use it in certain areas of the hospital. Oh one very important thing to bring are slippers. You'll need to get up and start walking as soon as possible, but they won't let you do that without slippers. That is about it for the first couple days following surgery and the first week or so afterward. You will be on a liquid diet until you go for your one week check up with Dr. A. so you don't need food in the house. You will need someone to drive you around for three weeks following surgery because they don't let you drive for that period of time. You'll do great! Sherri
jill C.
on 11/14/04 12:58 pm - somerset, NJ
Hi best of luck- who is your surgeon by the way? Is Dr. A Dr. Abkin? I live 2 miles from Robert Wood hospital by the way-
Susan Hegarty
on 11/15/04 12:25 am - Easton, PA
Hi Jill My surgeon is Dr Andrei. Thanks for the well wishes! Susan
Dawn H.
on 11/14/04 7:40 pm - Jersey CIty, NJ
Susan Good luck today with your PATs just some blood work .. xray and EKG and dont forget ...you will have to pee LOL. that damn cup always gives me performance anxiety . For the Hospital..I brought Robe slippers tooth brush and paste chap stick Hair brush and like some said a pillow .. if you like music a portable cd player. Most important thing to remember in the hospital is walk walk walk helps get rid of the gas pains and great for your circulation. Post op lots of sugar free liquids anything you can see thru. but also Sugar free Popsicles Susan good luck to you ... My prayers are with you for a speedy safe recovery . Dawn
Susan Hegarty
on 11/15/04 12:34 am - Easton, PA
Hi (((Dawn))) I had all my tests this morning. I was so nervous my ekg was all over the place...lol. I think because it was right after my blood work and I am SO SCARED of needles. Everything went well and I met with the anesthesia guy. Thats one of my biggest fears with the surgery because I have been a smoker for 14 yrs. He said I will be fine, everything checks out good and he reassured me. I started my liquid diet today too, yummy, NOT! lol. Thanks for thinking of me and I will talk to you soon. Susan
Most Active
Recent Topics