Talked to the surgeon...

Jeff K.
on 11/3/04 2:26 am - Beesleys Point, NJ
I went to see Dr. Iqbal today. I like him. he took plenty of time to answer my questions, and told me more about his practice, and his experience with RNY. I found it interesting that he says the incision he creates is usually around 4 inches. This is still "open" RNY, but has a much smaller scar. We talked about my insurance, and he told me based on my co-morbidities and BMI, he probably not even need to supply much documentation. We'll see. I was a little frustrated that the only scale in his office was a 350-pound version. I was not able to weigh in, and he needs my exact weight before he can start the paperwork to Aetna. I have to go to the dialysis unit at shore tonight to use their wheelchair scale. Once he has the info, he said he'll do all the work to get me approved. I asked about a timeframe, and he said if I was approved tonight, I would be looking at a early february surgery. I expressed concern about insurance companies dropping coverage for WLS, and he told me this was illegal because NIH classified obesity as a disease. Overall, he was very upbeat. He insists I attend a support group meeting on the 24th. He also wants me to see a Nephrologist (Kidney Doc) because my labs show I'm dumping protein. Called the PCP for that referral. have an appt. on the 16th.
Susan Hegarty
on 11/3/04 9:18 pm - Easton, PA
Hi Jeff, Congrats on taking the firt step and best of luck to you on your journey. This is a great place to post all of your questions and concerns. Eveyone is very helpful and supportive. Susan
Kathy S.
on 11/4/04 7:58 am - Rio Grande, NJ
Hi Jeff glad to hear that everything went well at the doctor's office. He is wonderful and believe me one of the best doctors around. Do what he tells you. He will not operate if you do not go to his support group one time. Take care and post or e-mail if you have any questions or concerns. Take care Kathy
*linda* J.
on 11/9/04 8:04 am - belmar, nj
Hey Jeff, I also heard Aetna was going to stop covering this surgery. I called Aetna today and was told yes, they were stopping as of 01/05. But, if its covered in your employees handbook then Aetna has to cover it. Sounds kind of confusing. The rep from Aetna said they consider it plastic surgery not needed surgery. If you learn anymore about this, please let me know? I am new to all this and figuring it out as I go along. I still haven't found a doctor who is in network! Best wishes to you! linda
Most Active
Recent Topics