Taking Time To Serve The Community!!

jlewisjr
on 10/23/04 6:03 am - Elizabeth, NJ
Hi Everyone: I know its Saturday so you're going "why is Jesse posting today?" I just wanted to tell you about sonething I did today that 13 monts ago would have been very painful to do. My surgeon, Dr. Jordan Garrison organizes his patients once a year around this time to volunteer for some kind of community service project. Today we went to the Food Bank of New Jersey to help out sorting donated food that goes out to local food pantries throughout the state helping to feed the hungry. Last year the thought of standing for a couple of hours would have been devistating for me. Today not only was it pain free, it was very satisfying to do something to help others in need. When Dr. Garrison thanked me for joining him all I could say was "you helped me get my health back so this is the least I could do for you. Anytime you need me, I'm there." I know that we all deal with our issues regarding WLS but what I did today just made me realize that the benefits of having WLS enabled me to make a small contribution to my community and keeping up with the pace of the other volunteers was not only a blessing, but a pleasure. Think about taking the time as we approach the holidays to help others. It just may take your mind off your troubles for a while? Till next time, Jesse
Most Active
Recent Topics