Having trouble tasting foods

MaryAnn R.
on 10/21/04 8:41 am - Beachwood, nj
I am 2 weeks post-op so far I have lost a total of 19 lbs.. but Im finding everything that I am eating tastes horrible !!! The doctor told me this sometimes happens and can last up to a month, meanwhile I have myself in tears everytime I try something and it tastes like sand.. I also quit smoking prior to my surgery so I am sure that has something to do with it... I have tried numerous protien drinks and I cant get them down without gagging them back up too... Help !!!!!!!!! any suggestions ????
JanineNJ
on 10/21/04 2:42 pm - NJ
Hi Maryann- I dont have any suggestions but I can tell you that I went through the same thing... and it goes away eventually. I lived on crystal light, strained Chickarina soup and KFC mashed potatoes w/ gravy that I couldnt taste at all for the first month... It was satisfying and it didnt taste too horrible. For the protein drink- Try Isopure. I put 2 scoops of vanilla isopure, 1/2 c skim milk (can make with water if your lactose intolerant right now) 1 teaspoon good sugar free cocoa powder (I use Ghiradelli) and 1 cup of ice into my blender and let it rip! I'd wait a couple of weeks (wait until week 5) for fruit but then you can take away the ice and the cocoa powder and add about 5 frozen strawberries. Tastes like a MickyD's strawberry shake. Hope I helped a little- You'll get through... the first month is the WORST! Hugs- Janine
MaryAnn R.
on 10/24/04 4:06 am - Beachwood, nj
Thanks for the suggestion about the protein drink, now I just have to get to the mall to exchange yet another product I bought... GNC is really gonna love me...I just cant seem to find anything that actually tastes like something, even cottage cheese which I loved tastes terrible.. I know this wont last forever but Im getting to the point I dont even want to eat, which I know is wrong...I do find myself cooking a lot more things for my family which I normally never cooked at home before...thanks for responding Janine .......... hugs... Mary Ann
Most Active
Recent Topics