Xenical

nancy P.
on 10/20/04 4:36 am - Middlesex, NJ
Has anyone had any experience ( good or bad ) with using Xenical for weight loss? Nancy
jmdacc
on 10/20/04 11:59 am - Bridgewater, NJ
I never took any Rx's for weight loss, I did do Optifast. But here's information from Xenical's website. You can see it yourself by adding the http:// and then www.rocheusa.com/products/xenical/pi.pdf "Pooled data from five clinical trials indicated that the overall mean weight loss from randomization to the end of 6 months and 1 year of treatment in the intent-to-treat population were 12.4 lbs and 13.4 lbs in the patients treated with XENICAL and 6.2 lbs and 5.8 lbs in the placebo-treated patients, respectively." So that means that, after six months, the average loss is 6.2 lbs more on Xenical than on a placebo. When people say there's no magic pill, they're right. I'm guessing that Xenical is probably in that "pricey" tier of most people's prescription plans. Assuming a copay of $40/month, that works out to be $240/6.2, about forty bucks a pound. At seven months out from RNY, I had lost 96 lbs. All my copays and deductables together are roughly $3500. That's about $36 a pound. At the end of the day, I've lost about 16 times the amount of weight the average person would expect to lose on Xenical in about the same time frame at a lower cost per pound.... and with much more peace of mind and much better odds at keeping the weight off permanently. I don't know if you're asking about Xenical because your doctor wants you to try it prior to greenlighting you for surgery, or if it's because you are looking for an alternative to surgery. If your doctor wants you to do it, it's probably for the insurance company, to prove that you "tried everything else". It doesn't look like six months of the stuff would harm someone. On the other hand, if you're considering Xenical as an alternative to surgery -- you can definitely try it and see if it helps you. The 6.2 lbs figure was the mean (average). It *is* possible for a morbidly obese person to achieve weight loss down to a healthy range and maintain it. It happens about 2% of the time -- but if you are determined, you could potentially be in that 2%, and maybe Xenical would help. Either way, I wish you all the luck. Hope the info helped. Whenever you want to learn more about a drug, go into the "information for doctors" section - it's got much straighter talk. Jen
jlewisjr
on 10/20/04 12:29 pm - Elizabeth, NJ
Nancy: My advice to you regarding Xenical is DON'T!!! I used it for a year and most insurance will not pay for it. It cost me $125 a month, I lost 50 pounds and the weight came back. The bad thing about Xenical is that it will make you go to the bathroom, especially if you eat something with too much fat. The trips to the bathroom are uncontrolable and it is not a pretty site. Jesse
(deactivated member)
on 10/21/04 2:01 am - Little Egg Harbor, NJ
I echo Jesse's words! I too used Xenical for a couple months. It WAS costly, and at the time I used it, not covered on my prescription plan. That said, even if it were covered on my plan today, I'd not touch the stuff with a ten foot pole Be sure to read the SIDE EFFECTS before you decide either way. Oily, neon colored stools and "leakage" are NOT pleasant things. Gross, perhaps....but you need to know these things Not at all worth the very little weight I did lose, and mine also came back. Just my two cents Good Luck!
(deactivated member)
on 10/22/04 4:05 am - Paradise Regained, NJ
My PCP refused to prescribe it. He says he doesn't know anyone he hates enough to advise they take it P~
Most Active
Recent Topics