PCP VISIT

nancy P.
on 10/18/04 1:24 am - Middlesex, NJ
I'm going to my PCP this afternoon for a sick visit. Bronchitis r/o Pneumonia, should I bring up the topic of WLS? I have never discussed this with him before, he is young, slim and trim. I have been embarrassed, won't even let the nurses weigh me on other visits. Should I make a separate appt. to discuss WLS? How do I handle it if he is against it and suggests other options? Very nervous and anxious, my appt is at 3pm today!!!
DJ
on 10/18/04 2:12 am - Parsippany, NJ
Well, if your pcp is like mine.. you only get to talk about one thing each visit.. good luck.. if he is young he should be all for it.
Susan Hegarty
on 10/18/04 4:18 am - Easton, PA
Hi Nancy Welcome to the board. I hope you feel better soon. I would bring up the surgery and ask his opinion and talk about the reasons why you want the surgery. Yes your visit is primarily for yoru Bronchitis but that doesn't limit you to what you can discuss when it comes to your health. Ya know, I was embarassed at first also, but today I am more accepting of my weight problem, mostly in part to this web site. i never used to be able to talk about it at all and now I discuss it in an open forum, around family and friends. You have nothing to be ashamed of. You are taking a very big step towards a healthier life!! Congrats!! Susan
jmdacc
on 10/18/04 12:29 pm - Bridgewater, NJ
Odds are, you are going to need a letter supporting WLS as being medically necessary for you from that doctor, so bring it up, the sooner the better. He might just say that he wants you to try non-surgical options. It's not the end of the world if he says that - a lot of insurance companies want documented proof of supervised weight loss attempts for six months before they will consider approving you, so get started on it with him now. If you've done your research and are committed to a surgical approach, and the PCP refuses to consider it, then see if you can get a different PCP. But if he's just cautious and/or abiding by insurance company rules, it is in your best interest. Remember that obesity is a disease, not a character flaw. I understand feelings of shame, but you have to keep your health foremost in your mind, not guilt or any other emotion. Not talking about WLS or not letting nurses weigh you doesn't make the problems of weight go away. Don't hesitate to level with your doctor, your health is too important. It is his JOB to facilitate you becoming healthy. If it makes you feel better, keep in mind that he spends his days looking up snot-filled noses, talking to people with bad teeth and bad breath, with bloodshot eyes, body odor, pimples - you name it, and yes, even fat people every day. Talking about WLS with you will probably be the high point of his day, because it's an opportunity to talk to someone who is motivated to truly change their lifestyle and improve their health. Best of luck. Jen
Most Active
Recent Topics