Need Some Help!!!!!

Dina S.
on 10/14/04 10:03 pm - west berlin, NJ
I am supposed to go in for surgery Nov. 19th for a lap bypass. I was wondering how long before I am going to be myself, or atleast close? What is down time for the lap? I am supposed to cook Thanksgiving dinner for the whole family and am not telling some of them about the surgery, I do have my sister on back up to come and cook if I can't. I am not one to usually have long recovery times, after c-section on a wednesday I was up and out on Saturday. I am hoping this is the same? Can anyone please give me some info. You can email me at [email protected]. Thanks
jmdacc
on 10/14/04 10:39 pm - Bridgewater, NJ
Hmmm... Having a one week post-op person cook Thanksgiving dinner sounds like cruel and unusual punishment to me. The IDEA of Thanksgiving dinner that soon sounds like punishment. First, talk to your doctor. There is a limit to how much you can lift that soon after surgery - the pots and the pan with the turkey on it is probably going to be too heavy. Other people may disagree but I didn't want to take a chance on getting a hernia so I didn't lift ANYTHING. I can picture trying to lean over the table to put a dish out... ugh. Would I have been in the mood to cook on my third day home... No. I wouldn't even have been in the mood to entertain guests, leaving the cooking out of it. It hurt if I sat in a chair too long, and it hurt if I stood up for too long. I couldn't bend over to tie my shoes for 2 and a half weeks after surgery. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't an invalid. But participating, let alone hosting, Thanksgiving dinner, would have been biting off more than I could chew. Literally. BTW, if you're not telling some of your family members about surgery, how are you going to explain not eating when they're at your house? You'll still be on liquids - mush at the most, and you'll be having like, a half-cup worth of whatever you do have, max. I think they're going to notice something is up. Jen
lheaton
on 10/15/04 6:23 am - millville, NJ
Dina, This is going to be your time to heal and mentally charge for your new start. Stand strong and cancel dinner at your house!!! You need to take care of YOU..... Hugs Lu
Most Active
Recent Topics