Dying here!

Elise H.
on 10/12/04 11:17 am - Point Pleasant, NJ
I've researched WLS for over 4 years, but my health insurance company doesn't seem to have any of the Dr's I choose to have surgery with. In the last 4 years I've gained sooooooo much weight, it's now VERY necessary I have this surgery as soon as I can! I can't breath when I walk more than 20 steps. I can't do sooo many things I used to! It's time! Does anyone know of a good Dr in NJ that takes United Healthcare AND has experience performing WLS on a person with a BMI over 70? Please let me know! Any help is greatly appreciated! Sincerely, Elise
mariec
on 10/12/04 1:21 pm - NJ
Hi Elise. I know relatively little about this whole thing, however I used to work in a human resources department several years ago. Your insur. co. should put out a book of participating dr's. Some companies' books further break down their listings by the dr's specialty. I'm sure after 4 years of research this is not a new thought to you, but sometimes in frustration we can overlook the obvious. Also, could you try working backwards from the hospitals in your area? (Heck, any area at this point, right? ;) There might just be some compassionate nurses or staffers who can point you in the direction of some good docs to inquire with. If you can compile a list, maybe even just get your closest friends or family who are very supportive to split up the list into manageable sizes and everyone just start calling dr's in your insurance plan and starting to ask some questions. I guess that would be kind of a last resort, and very time consuming I realize, but I'm a brainstorming kind of person. Hope this helps. Isn't insurance just about the most frustrating thing in the world?!?!? Will post again if I come up with any other ideas. Mary
Susan Hegarty
on 10/12/04 10:15 pm - Easton, PA
Hi Elise I'm not sure what type of plan you have with United but I have United Healthcare and I can use any doctor of my choice. My plan pays 80% and I pay 20%. Find out if you have an HMO, PPO, POS or Indemnity plan. And definately call the customer service number on your card. If you have a plan where you have to use their doctors than they definately will have a provider directory for you or even have the doctors who participate online through their website. I am using Dr. Valeri Andre in Livingston / St. Barnabus, Hope this helps. Best of luck to you. Susan
Nannette
on 10/13/04 5:49 am - Toms River, NJ
I'm not sure about NJ, but I used United Surgical Associates - Dr. Heather McMullen -- in Staten Island, NJ -- there are two other Drs there -- Dr Gene Coppa and Dr Jeffrey Nicastro. They are excellent and I would not hesitate to recommend them. Also, if you are not familiar with Staten Island, it actually is quite easy to get to and for me closer than many of the North NJ doctors. Lap RNY 6/16/03 -- 336/163/150
Dianne D.
on 10/17/04 5:48 am - Wayne, NJ
Try Dr. Marium Kurian at Lenox Hill Hospital...She is great and takes most insurance. Mine was Aetna Managed Choice. I did not want to go to NY but she was there.
teresaxxxx
on 10/23/04 6:25 pm - Princeton, NJ
My surgeon takes United Healthcare, Raphael Capella: (201)-818-9199, 545 Island Rd. Suite 2A, Ramsey, NJ 07446. He is affiliated with Hackensack Medical Center. This is right off his website: Dr. Capella is a nationally and internationally recognized obesity surgeon. He has the largest experience in the metropolitan area. I know 14 months ago when I had my surgery done he had over 3000 surgeries under his belt, so that number is even higher now. Here is a link to his website: http://www.capellasurgery.com/surgery/index.php CALL HIS OFFICE-HE'S A TERRIFIC SURGEON & GOOD LUCK!!!!!
jhilliard
on 10/25/04 5:00 am - NY
I had my surgery done by Dr. Capella in March and at Hackensack Medical CEnter and I can tell you things could not have gone better. The surgeon did a great job and he has been doing this for over 20 years and I think there is something to be said about someone who has done this for so long and done so many of them. The hospital was the best. I couldn't recomend him enough if you are looking for someone who is the best in this field.
Most Active
Recent Topics