Northern NJ newbie

mariec
on 10/11/04 1:35 pm - NJ
Hi all, New to this group and loving it. Considering LRNY and, if my insurance approves, I think it's fair to say my decision is made. Wondering if anyone on NJ discussion is from northern parts? And, more specifically, anyone had procedure w/ Dr. Gritsus? Would be very grateful for any and all feedback anyone may have. How about any recommendations from any of you re: ways to prepare for surgery? Thanks in advance!
john A.
on 10/12/04 10:04 am - eatontown, nj
mary... how northern jersey are you ..there is a site on the here that has many dr. listed ...and you only see the dr twice before the surgery and the rest of pre op is done in a one day session ...i serious recomemd dr boraro... he is the most expierenxed surgen around with no fatalitys and an excellent post op ...thats why no one has died under his care.. if you want more info let me know ...we can e-mail or talk... i am going nov 2nd and cannot wait... i wish you luck and you are in the right place ....there is a lot of info and expierance ...here i recomend the main message board it moves alot quicker ..i am also from nortn jersey but now llive at the jersey shore good luck john
Kathy W
on 10/12/04 10:35 am - NJ
Hi Mary, I'm from Middlesex, NJ which is on the Middlesex/Somerset county border. I'm using Dr. Nusbaum and am extremely happy that I found him. He works out of St. Barnabus. My surgery is scheduled for Dec. 7th (my choice on the date...I could have had it sooner but I had schedule conflicts with work) Please feel free to e-mail me if you'd like to talk. Perhaps we can get together if you'd like. What I've been doing to prepare for surgery is reading these boards...both local and national and getting all the support that I can. I've also ordered a bunch of samples of different protein powders so I can decide what I want to have in the house when I get home from the hospital. I've got really picky tastebuds so I have to be careful about which protein supplement I will use. I'm leaning towards Nectar Roadside lemonaid. When mixed with Crystal Light Sunrise Orange it really tastes just like orangeade. I'm also in the process of getting all my pre-op clearances. I had my venous doppler today, my egd in august. Now I just need my cardiac clearance, my pulmonary clearance and my final medical clearance. I'm also having a greenfield filter inserted the week before surgery. I wasn't thrilled about this but my pcp is insisting on it or he won't clear me for surgery and I know that its for my own good so I'll just grin and bear it. Happy thoughts Kathy Anxiously awaiting Dec. 7th.
mariec
on 10/12/04 1:08 pm - NJ
Thanks, John and Kathy, for your responses. I'm wayyyy up there (NY border). Interesting how we are all pre-op. Would love to maintain contact with you both to see how you're doing through the process. Found out today that the insur. the dr. takes is one that I will have to *switch to* , which I can do this month, but the new insurance doesn't go into effect until 1/1/05. Bummer. But, at least I did find out that the insur. that I'll be switching to covers the other stuff my family needs. Tomorrow I go for an appt. with my PCP to seek his support. Generally, other than MO I am pretty healthy so I am expecting to have to really plead my case to him. No other real "comorbities" but I'm certain it's only a matter of time. I feel like a ticking time bomb.... BMI 45. I took the sample letter off OH here, and revised it and faxed it to him today and asked the office to have him read it before my appt. Hope it helps! Do you have any tips on getting PCP's support of pursuing the surgery? How did your experience go? -Mar
Susan Hegarty
on 10/12/04 10:23 pm - Easton, PA
Hi Mary I am from Middlesex County but using Dr. Valeri Andre in Livingston, NJ / St. Barnabus. I am scheduled for my sirgery December 27th. I met with him for my initial consult, have had my psych evaluation and nutritional. I have also had my blood work and cardio testing done. Like many other excellent surgeons he has support group meetings. For myself I have started therapy to help with pre op issues as well as post op issues (when that time comes). I was also told that OA is very good with helping deal with food/weight issues. It's important to be strong for this surgery. This support site is wonderful and has really helped me alot so far. You will get to know alot of wonderful people. Best of luck to you!! Susan
BarbC
on 10/13/04 1:07 am - Hawthorne, NJ
Mary, I also live in Northern NJ, and I used Dr. Capella in Ramsey. He does not do lap, but he gives specific reasons why in his orientation. He has performed about 4,000 surgeries and his fatality rate is about 0.02%, which is very low. He is well known for his surgery - it is an RNY with a band at the bottom of the pouch. I would recommend him to anyone. Good luck with your journey! Barbara
jmdacc
on 10/14/04 3:17 am - Bridgewater, NJ
I hear a lot of people complain that their surgeon didn't tell them something... I strongly recommend taking the initiative to learn as much as you can. It's our lives at stake here, and after all - he's a *surgeon*, not a fitness instructor, not a counselor, not a dietician, and not a teacher. So I think you have to educate yourself a bit too. I recommend attending the orientation sessions of at least two surgeons/surgery teams. I met with three before I made my decision, and I learned a little bit more with each of them. You can learn things on this site but you have to take it with a grain of salt and follow your personal surgeon's instructions - you will find that pre-op AND post-op instructions vary widely from surgeon to surgeon and from patient to patient. I also recommend reading some books on the subject. I got some from amazon. Good luck, Jen
SisterGoldenHair
on 10/16/04 12:51 am - Greenwood Lake, NY
Mary, I am in Greenwood Lake NY, sounds like the area that you are talking about. I have gone to three seminars and have settled with Dr. Gritsus myself. I am waiting for them to become Aetna providers, which I was told that by the end of next week they should have their numbers. I am sooo excited. If you want to chat that would be great!
Most Active
Recent Topics