changes in eating

artisticdork
on 10/9/04 12:59 pm - brigantine, NJ
im definitly getting the surgery as long as the pre op testing comes out and says im okay for surgery...but thats besides the point...kinda, lol but anyway how hard was it for you guys to adjust to the new eating style? what are some things you can and cant drink. ya know just some pointers i guess. thanks in advance
Kathy S.
on 10/9/04 11:30 pm - Rio Grande, NJ
I do not Think that it is that difficult after the operation. It is a life change but I cannot believe how easy it is. I did extactly what my doctor told me to do about eating. It will be four month this week and I lost 77 lbs. I eat what I want just small quanities. I really do not eat breads, pasta, bagels I just cannot digest them. I also do not feel that good when I eat them. The only think I miss is coke. I only drink coffee, diet ice teas, water, and protein drinks mix with water. I really miss that coke. I hope this help you a little bit. This is the best thing I could have done with my life. Good luck Kathy
jlewisjr
on 10/10/04 12:30 pm - Elizabeth, NJ
MIchael: As with anything in life its a matter of having the proper mindset to stay commited to the change. Once you have your mind made up to make WLS work for you, it will not be difficult to adjust to a healthier eating style. Just folow your surgeon's plan and stay committed. Jesse
Dixie P.
on 10/12/04 11:11 am - Atlanta, GA
Michael I'm going to tell you straight up that there are many issues to deal with once you are out of surgery. And it happens as soon as driving home from the hospital. I experienced irrational anger because my husband was eating all this food in front of me while I was on clear liquids for the first two weeks after surgery. I would have insane hunger pangs as I watched Burger King commercials, knowing that I would probably never again be able to stuff my face with a sloppy burger and fries. Even though my pouch was new and not healed yet and I felt no hunger what so ever, I was "starving." This was my introduction to "head hunger" - the trigger that switched off my body when I would over eat or binge. The surgery isn't brain surgery, and for many of us, me included, issues with food went WAY back to childhood. Food had come to represent many different emotional issues in my life, and having that taken away was an immediate challenge to me. Once I realized that I was now face to face with the deeper issues of my obesity, I started to read about emotional eating and I started going to see a counselor so I would be sure to stay on track and not sabotage myself and my weight loss surgery. I'm happy to say, that I continue to do much soul searching and unraveling of my issues around food, all while adhering to my diet and exercising every day. I am only 35 pounds from goal weight, and I have never felt better. Do I still have mini-panic attacks when I pass by a Pizza parlor or sub shop? You betcha! But I have a much clearer understanding of where that hunger is coming from, and since I know it isn't connected to my stomach, I'm able to deal with it. This may be more than you expected to get in an answer! But I thought I'd tell you since not many people are willing to go into things like this on the boards.
Susan Hegarty
on 10/12/04 10:31 pm - Easton, PA
Hi Liz, I was just browsing the board before work and saw your post. I am scheduled for surgery on December 27th and I have to thank you for your honesty. It's responses like yours that keep me in a reality check and reminds me that this surgery is a wonderful "tool". The issues you talked about are the very same issues I realize I must start addressing now, before my surgery. I recognize that I eat mostly when Im not hungry and this goes way back to childhood. I am starting therapy this Friday to start addressing these issues. Making this decision to have major surgery and change our physical makeup is a very serious decision. And I want to be best prepared to follow through with this in a healthy way. Simply, I don't want to go through all of this to get a negative result. Thanks again and congrats on your weight loss!! Susan
Most Active
Recent Topics