Second Thoughts ... already have scheduled date

Nancy S.
on 8/26/04 1:22 am - Newark, NJ
Hello all ... I am scheduled for Gastric Bypass on Sept. 13th, I am 27 years old and unsure if this decision is too early to make. I ask myself will I regret this after the surgery? Have I really tried everything I could to loose this weight? People say i'm too young to make this kind of decision, but am I? I have been over weight my whole life and because of my weight I have passed opportunities and experiences that could have been very important in my life. I don't want this surgery just because I want to look good but feel good as well. Confused. Help. Nancy S
Irene S.
on 8/26/04 3:40 am - NJ
One of the best ways to answer this question is to get to know post-ops from your surgeon's support group. That will give you an idea of how your doctor's patients do, and gives a real idea of what post-op life is like. It's something that we all have to sort out for ourself. If your are really unsure, you can always postpone your date while you're making up your mind. irene
COZETTE
HENDERSON

on 8/26/04 5:27 am - TRENTON, NJ
GIRL U SAYIN U BEEN OVER WEIGHT ALL YA LIFE IN U WANNA FEEL AND LOOK BETTER, WITH THIS SURGERY YA SELF ESTEEM WILL GO WAYYYYY UP BELIEVE ME, I;VE MET MANYYY WHO'VE LOST SO MUCH WEIGHT AFTER SURGERY......I CAN'T WAIT TIL MY TURN ON SEPT 21TH....I'M 23 YEARS OLD, AND I'MA DO THIS FOR ME AND MY KIDS,.......I WANNA FEEL AND LOOK BETTA IN I KNOW I WILL ONCE I GET THIS SURGERY. BETTER ME ITS THE RIGHT CHOICE.
jmdacc
on 8/26/04 12:21 pm - Bridgewater, NJ
I'm thirty-one. I don't think 27 is too young. In fact, everyone I know, people up to their 60s, all say they wish they'd had surgery sooner. From my perspective I mourn the time I wasted being fat, missing out on so many things in life - especially in my twenties. Definitely go to a support group and raise this topic; I am sure having a real conversation with post-ops will help you a lot. I did lots of things to loose weight, including Optifast, and I can tell you 100% wholeheartedly that this is not only the best thing I've done but that it was absolutely the only way I would have lost this much weight. I had surgery a little less than 6 months ago and I have lost 80 pounds. I am now "ONLY" 30 pounds overweight - that is incredible. I never thought I would see the day. I'm so much healthier it is incredible. Best of luck to you, Jennifer M
jersey girl
on 8/27/04 3:21 am - MONMOUTH COUNTY, NJ
I don't think any age is too young to be healthly, and happy, and active, and enjoying life. Your eating habits will change with this surgery and so therefore will your life. The first few months are the toughest as the body adjusts. But adjusts it does. I'm 1 yr postop, and the eating is second nature. I know what to avoid, and I also know how my body reacts if I don't. It really is no big deal at this point. My life is so full again. I am happy to do things that I haven't done in many yrs. Only you know if you are ready to make this step based on you current situation. Good luck. JG
Fran P.
on 8/27/04 11:50 am - FLANDERS, NJ
Hi Nancy, I think that having second thoughts is quite typical. I have not had surgery yet, waiting for insurance approval. I do want to say this: I am 61 yrs. old and as scared as I am some days about surgery, I can't wait to have it. I do wish I had done this when I was younger because now I am 4 X' s bigger than I was at your age. Having said all this it still has to be your decision because it is a big one. Good luck and you're in my prayers. Fran
GRISELDA POLANCO
on 8/29/04 11:52 am - Hackensack, NJ
Hey Nancy... Im 26 yrs old and my sister who is 22 yrs old had the gastric bypass surgery on Aug 19th 2004 we have lost 22lbs each and its a wonderdul feeling. First of no one is ever to young to save their life. Being obese is a WAY BIGGER risk than having this surgery. We are dominican and believe me my mom was sooooooo dissappointed she kept telling us that a good diet would help us. Despite it all we make the decision. My mom came around and she thinks its the best thing we have ever done. Once she us with soooooo much energy and a more positive outlook on life she agreed. So girl my advice to you is just research your doctor thoroughly and keep in mind the life you are about to save is your own...GOD bless. If you want you can email me [email protected]
Most Active
Recent Topics