CPAP machine

(deactivated member)
on 8/17/04 2:06 am - Little Egg Harbor, NJ
All my prep testing is done finally....but my pulmonary doc is on vacation for 2 weeks and I can't get clearance till he comes back. My sleep study says that I do have sleep apnea, and I'll need to be on that infernal CPAP machine before I can be approved for surgery. I'm DREADING it I did a split study which made me sleep half the night with the contraption on and it was horrible! Has anyone had to use the CPAP prior to being approved? How long must you do this? Anyone ever have trouble sleeping WITH it? Isn't sleep apnea part of the reason I'm HAVING surgery in the first place? I don't get it. Maybe it's all mental....but I see the thing and I think Hanibal Lechter. Ugh! This is my last hurdle before setting up a date and I have a feeling it's gonna hold me up. This surgeon makes you jump through more hoops than most I've heard of, but I guess it's a good thing. I thought I'd be setting up a surgery date this week, and it turns out it's going to be another couple weeks at least. I wish I could get more upbeat...and I know others go through much longer waits....but this is a major drag.
Rachelq
on 8/17/04 3:53 am - Laguna Niguel, CA
RNY on 04/27/04 with
I hated the idea of a cpap when I found out I had to wear one (I actually cried during the cpap orientation class...i just couldn't believe I had to wear one). It certainly isn't very sexy either. It took me about 3 fitfull weeks of trying it to get a full night sleep (and I had to do that alone..away from hubby..in the spare room). All that being said, I still fell in love with my cpap. I suddenly felt rested again for the first time in years. And I really feel it was the first step on the road of getting my life back. I'm a big adovcate of them. When you have apnea, you stop breathing...once is all it takes. So please try to make friends with your new device. I would guess that you need it before surgery, because they require you to bring it to the hospital with you. Your oxygen levels can get dangerously low after surgery if you have apnea. Though I did read that someone was told not to use it (but that was the first time I'd ever heard a surgeon recommend that). But if your surgeon is like mine, you will need it. And its a good idea to be used to wearing it before the big surgery day. Sorry for the long post. I hope it helps. Rachel
Kathy S.
on 8/17/04 5:01 am - Rio Grande, NJ
I hated the machine but I used it as much as possible. You must bring it to the hospital and use it after surgery. It is 8 1/2 weeks since my surgery and from the moment I got home I didn't need it. I am sleeping great. Kathy
Nannette
on 8/17/04 11:48 pm - Toms River, NJ
They want you to be on it for about 6 weeks prior to surgery, to attempt to oxygenate your body prior to surgery -- you will also have to bring it to surgery with you and wear it in recovery, and while you are in the hospital. I did all that with no problem -- other than hating the damn thing for all the same reasons -- Prior to surgery, while home, I could fall asleep with it on, but when I woke in the morning, it would be laying next to me -- Never could figure out how long I actually left it on, before ripping it off in my sleep! In any case, I satisfied their requirements, and never wore the thing again once I got home from the hospital after surgury. So now I am 14 months CPAP-free! RNY 6/16/03 -- 336/176/155?
COZETTE
HENDERSON

on 8/19/04 4:12 am - TRENTON, NJ
GIRLL DON'T BE SO DOWN, EVERYTHING WILL BE OK, I KNOW HOW U FEEL BOUT THE CPAP I'M CURRENTLY USEIN IT...IN UR RIGHT ABOUT HAVIN TO USE IT FOR AWHILE BEFORE SURGERY I THINK U HAVE TO USE IT FOR 2 TO 3 MONTHS BEFORE SURGERY....I'M ALSO OUT TO HAVE SURGERY VERY SOON SOMETIME AT THE END OF NEXT MONTH...
Naes Wls J.
on 8/19/04 6:40 am - NJ
I do feel for you, but I must say it may be for your own good in the long run. I know for a fact I had sleep apnea in the worse way.grrrrrr But when my surgeon asked me about my sleeping habits I told a big lie.When I filled out my medical sheets for him, I lied. how I got away with not taking the test is a surprise to me. I thought I was clever then, but it wasn't so clever when I woke up after having my wls. I woke up on a ventilator, believe me it was awful. Trying to breath was awful after it as taken out. having a large tube stuck down your throut, to help you breath wasn't comfortable at all. If only I told the truth and put up with the darn Cpap for a little while. instead I choose to lie to get out of taking one more test. and I almost paid with my life. So I tell everyone do what ever needs to be done to have a smooth wls outcome, Best wishes to you, may you have your wls day soon. hang in there.
(deactivated member)
on 8/19/04 6:56 am - Little Egg Harbor, NJ
Wow...the ventilator sounds scary. I've been straight up with my surgeon from the get go. When he asked about sleeping habits, I said my husband says I snore a little. I dunno...I'm asleep! :} Now that I finally have come to grips with getting the machine, they called and told me my ins. denied the pre cert for it because my apnea wasn't "moderate to severe". Go figure. Another hoop...and I'll jump through it like a compliant good girl :}
MargaretCrowl
on 8/24/04 2:14 am - Somerset, NJ
One of the first things I did when I was considering gastric bypass was to be tested for sleep apnea. I had been told that it would be "good" if I had it, in the sense that it is comorbidity which significantly increases the likelihood of insurance paying for the surgery. I wasn't surprised to find out that I have severe sleep apnea. The CPAP machine does take a lot of getting use to. For the first few weeks I hated it and really struggled to keep it on even for part of the night. The first mask I used caused a nasty abrasion under my nose so I had to try a different mask. I would encourage you to make the effort to get used to it because, once you do, you will see an AMAZING difference in the quality of your sleep. Your snoring will go away so you won't chase others out of the room. I was able to afford to go to a professional conference this year because I knew that my CPAP machine would allow me to have a roommate to share the hotel cost. Another thing I like about it is that I love to sleep with the covers completely over my head, and with the CPAP machine pumping air to me I can do that without feeling like I'm gonna suffocate. There were a few times when I was in a situation where I couldn't get power to my CPAP and had to sleep without it. This happened once during a power failure and once when a battery system failed when I was camping. The next morning I felt like I hadn't slept at all. I am now 7-months post-op and have lost 100+ pounds. Once my weight loss stabilizes I am going back to be re-tested and hopefully I won't have to use the machine any more. I think it will be harder to get used to sleeping without it than it was to get used to sleeping with it.
(deactivated member)
on 8/24/04 2:35 am - Little Egg Harbor, NJ
Apparently I'm not sleep apnea'd enough to warrant AmeriHealth paying for the machine. According to my husband, I don't snore often, and when I do it's one of those faint annoying snores - not the shake the house kind. At any rate, my surgeon will speak with the pulmonologist Monday when he's back from vacation and ask if he would give me medical clearance if they agreed to make me wear the mask while I was in the hospital. I guess insurance would cover it then...I dunno. Seems like a bit of red tape. I wouldn't mind doing the machine now if it meant getting a surgery date, but AmeriHealth, who ultimately will be the one to approve or deny my surgery, seems to think I don't need it badly enough to pay for it. Oh well. Another week in limbo...... Thanks everyone for your input and experiences. You're all more helpful than you know
Most Active
Recent Topics