Getting depressed, doing the Cigna shuffle

Susan Hegarty
on 8/15/04 12:44 pm - Easton, PA
I havent posted in a while because I have been so depressed. Cigna is giving me such a hard time. First they denied my surgery for lack of clinical notes of a 6 month dr supervised diet. Then I submitted the clinical and the medical director upheld the denial saying the notes weren't good enough. I knew going into this that this happening was a possibility but when it happens reality hits and the depression followed. I have a wonderful pcp now who is working with me and seeing me every 2 weeks, going through all the hoops with me that Cigna is asking for. I have 6 weeks in and 18 more weeks to go which means I will probably be having surgery in January if all goes well with Cigna. To top it off I spoke to Cigna like a week ago and they said my case went to appeals. I never requested an appeal!! Nor did my doctor!! But they insist that my doctor requested the appeal, they just can't tell me which doctor. I spoke to a lawyer who says he has a 95% sucess rate overturning denials from Cigna but who has the money for that?? So doing "another" 6 month diet seemed to be the smart thing to do, even though its like to 50th diet I have been on. Thanks for letting me vent all and have a great day.
COZETTE
HENDERSON

on 8/15/04 5:53 pm - TRENTON, NJ
sweety just hold on, pray to god in let him know whats goin on in he will answer ,,,really he will just keep the faith..
Irene S.
on 8/15/04 9:24 pm - NJ
Susan, Hang in there. I had a very long journey and in the end I was thrilled with my result. Sometimes, things happen for a reason, even if we don't understand why. In the meantime, buckle your seatbelt and hold on to the bar. This IS a rollercoaster ride! If you're interested you can come to my support group in Scotch Plains. Email me if you'd like more info. irene
Susan Hegarty
on 8/16/04 5:42 am - Easton, PA
Hi Irene, thanks for the words of encouragement. I really with I could make your meeting, I really need it. But I wor****il 7:30pm in princeton m-f. Would the meeting happen to be on a weekend? Sue
Kathy S.
on 8/15/04 10:25 pm - Rio Grande, NJ
Susan I know it is hard waiting but here is a postivie thought. I feel January is an excellent month to have surgery. It is cold, you stay in the house, people aren't having parties and when they see you in a few month they will not believe their eyes. I had my surgery June 9 and felt a depressiom because I couldn't go out with friends. It seems that everything centers around food. This will give you time to adjust. January is a great month and remember it will be here before you know it. Get a smile on your face and everything will be fine. Take care Kathy
Susan Hegarty
on 8/16/04 4:55 am - Easton, PA
Thanks so much Kathy. Thats a great way of looking at it. I never thought of it that way. That why I love this board. You guys are the best!!
Heather A.
on 8/15/04 10:45 pm - Williamstown, NJ
I am glad you finally posted. I had been getting a little worried, because I hadn't seen you on the board. I am sorry to hear the red tape you are running into with Cigna, but am glad you are trying to turn it around and stay positive. Just remember how much you want this. I can tell you this was a long process for me. I switched surgeons, and insurance companies. There where times when I thought I just couldn't hold on, and actually thought about throwing in the towel. And here I am scheduled for surgery tomorrow! I know it is hard, but hand it there. You are so worth it! Hugs, Heather
Susan Hegarty
on 8/16/04 4:37 am - Easton, PA
Hi Heather, you made me cry But a happy one. I was so touched that you actually were concerned and noticed that I wasn't posting. With so many people on the board I didn't think I would be thought of like that. Best of luck to you on your surgery!!! I am so happy for you. may ll the angels be around you in your recovery! Hugs, Susan
Irene S.
on 8/17/04 11:50 am - NJ
Heather, just wanted to send my wishes for an uneventful surgery and a speedy recovery! irene
Jennifer J.
on 8/20/04 4:35 pm - Oakhurst, NJ
RNY on 07/22/04 with
Good luck honey, you're in my prayers! I too have Cigna, the biggest waste of money in the world... After 2 years of denials and appeals, peer to peer reviews, (40 lb weight gain) and so much BS it wasn't even funny, I finally decided that enough was enough. These losers wouldn't even give an approval for out of network benefits! However with my plan, they will pay 40% of what they feel is reasonable and customary without an approval. I decided to take out loans and self pay. A little under $60K later, and I am finally 4 weeks post op. I'll see what little bit of crumbs they toss back at me and the rest I am writing off as medical expenses on my income tax next year. I refused to let a bunch of know nothings on the end of the phone decide if I live or die. I decided. I live!!
Most Active
Recent Topics