HAs anyone found they need hip surgery after WLS???

Jim M.
on 7/31/04 12:20 pm - Brick, NJ
HAve been having the darndest time walking...one day I can, next two I can't. Finally the doc took some xrays and it seems the off again on again pain of the last three years wasn't weight. ( I am down 90 plus pounds in six months) but it is getting worse!!! Now I have to go see an orthopedist on Thursday because my hip is digenerating, worn out and looks like it needs to go! WHat a drag. Now that I feel like running, jumping and playing with my kids, my hip hurts so much I can't. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR its frustrating. But if I ccould get thru the entire WLS process, I will get thru this too....I know how wonderful I will feel at the end of it all. I know WLS cuts down on the anti inflammatroy medicnes and may quicken the surgical decision. Just wondering if any one has been down this particular road. Thanks for letting me vent all. Jim
Irene S.
on 7/31/04 3:43 pm - NJ
Haven't been down this road. But-- Hip replacement figured very heavily in my decision to pursue wls. I figured if I stayed on the course I was on, it would be inevitable that I would need one, and at my present weight, it would be disasterous to have surgery. The recovery is VERY difficult if you're extremely overweight. While I know you're bummed at the prospect, believe me, you are lucky you had wls surgery first. I've seen people in rehab centers with hip replacement surgery and you wouldn't want to go through that being extremely obese. irene
Jim M.
on 8/2/04 5:41 am - Brick, NJ
Thanks Irene! I realise I am better off with the weight loss if I need to do this, I guess I am just frustrated at the sense of "betrayal" I feel. I feel like doing so much physically and now I find I am limited not by fatigue and weight but a pain that freezes me up. Well I see the Ortho on thursday , guess I will have more answers than. Thanks again. JIm
Most Active
Recent Topics