Type 1 diabetics please read

Carol-from-NJ
on 7/28/04 11:24 pm - River Edge, NJ
Hi. I would like to hear from other type 1 diabetics who have had gastric bypass surgery. I had serious complications the first 6 weeks and now my diabetiologist etc. think that it was due to the carb. restrictive diet, that my body was going into starvation mode which threw everything out of whack. I could not even keep sips of fluid down, I was very ,very, sick. There are numerous studies on type 2 diabetics having these surgeries but I am unable to find any on the effects on a type 1 diabetic. Please, I need to hear your stories if you are a type 1, somehow we need to get the medical community involved with this because we have very different requirements and physiology than a type 2 diabetic. I thank you for your anticipated responses. Most sincerely, Carol
SJWendy
on 7/31/04 11:34 am - Swedesboro, NJ
Hi Carol, Sorry to hear your having problems with your diabetes. I'm Type 1 diabetic for 10 yrs, pre-op I was taking over 100 units of Humalog a day and now its about 45 units a day. After surgery, I had to really reduce the amt of insulin due to the liquid diet, however after 6 wks post op and eating soft foods, my insulin requirements steadily climbed. I find the less carbs, the better for my blood sugar, which in turns means less insulin. I can understand going thru starvation mode may have an affect on your blood sugar, however, maybe since your having problems getting fluid in, maybe its dehydration throwing everything off instead. You definitely need to stay hydrated for your body to function properly. I hope your drs can straighten this situation out for you. Feel free to e-mail...I'm 4 1/2 months PO. Wendy 3/15/04 Dr. Greenbaum -65
Most Active
Recent Topics