PLEASE help before I go bald

Mary Y.
on 7/25/04 9:14 pm - Enfield, CT
Hi all I read this board all the time and try only to post when I'm really in a pickle. I sure am now. I am 3 1/2 mos post op (down 82# !!!!!!) but my hair is falling out by the handful all of a sudden. And before you all ask, NO, I am probably not getting enough protein. I do take a multi vitamin every day. Is it not enough protein that's causing this problem? Literally when I take a shower my hair falls out in clumps. It's awful. Any advice? Thanks so much Mary
Denise W.
on 7/26/04 4:38 am - Maple Shade, NJ
Hey Mary, If you're down 82 lbs in less than 4 months, I can guarantee you that's why it's falling out so bad! Rapid weight loss, along with lack of protein, can cause your hair to fall out and that's alot of weight very quickly! Bump up your protein as much as you can and maybe try a short hair cut so the hair strands don't look so bad and hang in there - it WILL stop, I promise! (Mine stopped after about 1 month) Keep up the great job, you're doing amazing! Denise
Irene S.
on 7/26/04 7:34 am - NJ
In addition to low protein levels, some people get this from the surgery as a reaction to anesthesia. Basically you will not go totally bald, even though it feels like it will never stop! When the body cannot sustain all the hair that is currently growing it will shut some of the follicles down temporarily, and put them into a resting phase so that it doesn't have to try to "feed" the extras. Sort of the way a stressed tree will drop 1/2 it's leaves. The way that hair cycles work is that it takes 3 months from the time the follicles are shut down until hair begins to fall out. How long the hair will drop varies, but usually the hair will grow back 3 months after fallout. Hang in there, and make CERTAIN you up your protein. I've seen some people swear by Nioxin, but I've seen others say it didn't help one bit. Not everyone loses their hair after surgery so it's hard to say. I agree though, you should get your hair cut because people are fooled by the new do and so they don't see the loss as much. irene
Debbie M.
on 7/27/04 6:32 am - ocean county, NJ
hair loss...it really sucks !!!!!!!!! mine started falling out at 12 weeks,(in clumps) and for a while i thought i was going bald too, but last night i finally got a hair cut and color(i was terrified), and i have to say my hairdresser didnt think it was that bad, my ends were fried, but a lil trim, and some layers and today it looks a lot better....i think we are the ones who notice the most....i've heard alot of people say it gets better, and i guess it does, the past 4 day i havent lost anything while washing it, only when combing it out, and not nearly what it was....so it will get better...good luck
Most Active
Recent Topics