When Cigna says 24 week dr supervised diet................

Susan Hegarty
on 7/21/04 9:08 am - Easton, PA
Hi all, I was wondering how others have overcome this little "requirement" for surgery. I was speaking to someone who had the clinicaql diet notes done by a chiropractor opposed to a physician. Can that be possible? If so then I may have an avenue here. My cousin is a Chiropractor and has been treating me for yrs. I never even gave this a thought before. If i cant use them then I only have 19 more weeks left of doctor dieting..woohooo. Thanks all. Susan
Irene S.
on 7/22/04 1:54 am - NJ
Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm only trying to be helpful. I would urge you to call Cigna and get the information from the horses mouth. Do not just take a shot in the dark they will approve this. You're only allowed a certain number of denials and appeals on something and then it's too bad, they will never have to pay for it. The reason that I'm saying this is because when I started this whole process Aetna was pretty easy to get approval from, and I heard this from a number of people that were post op. By the time I was ready to have my stuff submitted to insurance, Aetna had already changed their requirements at least twice! Now they want a Physician to supervise both the diet AND exercise and you need a number of visits with a nutritionist or dietician. Who knows what they'll want next year! Just call them, tell them to send you the requirements in writing and then see if the chiropractic records could suffice. Good luck Susan! irene
Susan Hegarty
on 7/22/04 5:58 am - Easton, PA
Thanks for your advice Irene, I called Cigna like you suggested. It was actually funny because they mistakenly thought I was the doctors office calling and put me right through to the medical director!! LOL. Long story short I got all the info I have been looking for and couldn't get from anyone else. She told me that she will accept the dr supervised diet from the Chiropractor!!! YEaaaaaah!!!! He is considered a "health professional" and asl long as there are at least monthly weigh ins, diet and exercize guidance and nutritional guidance noted she will approve my surgery!!! I am so happy and excited. Thanks for the input it helped alot. Susan
Irene S.
on 7/22/04 8:25 am - NJ
I AM DOING THE HAPPY DANCE FOR YOU!!!!!!!!
Susan Hegarty
on 7/22/04 8:35 am - Easton, PA
Thank you so much
Dawn H.
on 7/22/04 10:17 am - Jersey CIty, NJ
WOW this is great news Susan .. I know you were down in the dumps about the long wait.. It wount be long now!!! Im very happy for you and hope to see you on the loosing side soon! Dawn
Susan Hegarty
on 7/22/04 2:32 pm - Easton, PA
Thanks Dawn. I am going on Monday to see my cousin. I can use lot of prayers. Susan
Irene S.
on 7/23/04 6:19 am - NJ
Dawn, even though you didn't make the July roster, I bet you'll be on the August surgery page!! irene
Most Active
Recent Topics