Surgeon

Novashannon
on 7/9/04 6:39 am - Nj
I am thinking of getting the surgery, but no docs in Warren County. Can anyone tell me aout docs nearby or anyone who uses Aetna insurance tell me about their experience?
Novashannon
on 7/10/04 3:04 am - Nj
Nobody?
IrishIze
on 7/10/04 5:24 am - NJ
I have Aetna insurance and I checked out their website as well as looked at the 'find a bariatric surgeon' on this board. I also called Aetna and they were very helpful in finding bariatric surgeons for me. I'm sure there are at least a few doctors within a 50 mile radius of you...give it a shot! Once I had narrowed the list down a bit, I did a search on the doctor's name here and contacted a few of his patients to get their opinions. Don't give up! Hugs, Nancy
Irene S.
on 7/10/04 8:11 am - NJ
I have Aetna. I am having surgery with Dr. Kamelgard on July 27. I would urge you to go to the Aetna website and download Clinical Policy Bulletin #0157. This lists all the requirements that must be met for approval. In addition to the standard requirements of bmi, etc., Aetna require that you have at least 6 months of physician supervised diet and exercise program incuding visits with a dietitican or nutrititionist - OR - be enrolled in a surgeon's Multi-Disciplinary Surgical Preparatory Program. I didn't have the 6 months of diet, but my surgeon does the surgical prep. Unfortunately I got the *itch from hell on my case and she denied me twice. It took a complaint to the medical director to get approved! But I have seen people say Aetna was wonderful. I guess it really matters if you can meet their requirements! Good luck with your journey!
Novashannon
on 7/11/04 3:58 am - Nj
Thanks, ladies; i have already checked all the boards here and also called Aetna. they weere most UNhelpful. the lady on the line had never heard of bariatric surgery and was very snippy with me. That is why i asked here. There are definitely no surgeons within fifty miles of me. I will have to drive well over an hour and a half to get to any of the ones i have found. I guess i will just have to do it. I will check out Dr. kamelgard, too. where is he located? Thanks!
Irene S.
on 7/13/04 12:57 pm - NJ
Hi Debbie, I'm in Wayne. I don't know where you are in Warren county, but I've taken Route 80 to Pennsylvania, and I can be at the Delaware Water Gap in about 1 hour or less. Well ok, I drive fast on rt 80, it is a fast road, but not as fast as 287, lol. Dr. Kamelgard is not an in-network provider any longer, but it's less of an issue if you have out of network benefits. He is located in Wayne. Unfortunately, Aetna is not equipped to tell you if a surgeon does bariatric surgery. I had exactly the same experience when I called them 2.5 years ago - could it be the same nasty witch, perhaps? You can get the names of surgeons in your plan and then cross-reference them with the surgeons on this list. And you can also find bariatric surgeons that are members of the American Society for Bariatric Surgery at www.asbs.org, and see if anyone is in your plan. You can get the names of surgeons that are in-network online at Aetna.com.
surfcitylbi
on 7/16/04 10:11 pm - Surf City, NJ
I also have Aetna and I'm also having surgery with Dr. Kamelgard. I live in South Jersey and drive an hour and 45 minutes to his office. Two hours to the hospital and feel it's worth every second I spend on the road. Dr. Kamelgard will be doing my surgery on July 20. I was approved first time through, but like Irene I was in Dr. K's Surgical Prep Program. Aetna just took their sweet time in approving. Though I didn't really encounter any difficult people at Aetna, I wasn't denied so there was no reason for a problem. Depends on who you get!! Good luck in your search and dealings with Aetna. Sue
Most Active
Recent Topics