Smoking and Friendship are ou the door

Susan Hegarty
on 6/30/04 11:30 pm - Easton, PA
It has been very hard not smoking. It has been 4 days for me and I don't think it is any easier. My best friend and I aren't speaking right now because of my decision to have surgery and to quit smoking. She feels it is too much of a life change for "her" . She said I am not "family", I am only a "friend" so why should she have to rearrange her life? Can you imagine? It hurts me alot and I guess it's true that you find out who your real friends are when you go through some tough times. It hurts that I have to let her go because we have been through so much together and I considered her like a sister to me. I am waiting on my insurance approval. My surgeons office just got all of the paperwork to submit to Cigna, so I am keeping my fingers crossed and ready to appeal if necessary. Thanks for letting me vent again all.
Christina M.
on 7/1/04 12:57 am - Freehold, NJ
Hang in there !! I quit 2 weeks before sugery using NJ Quit Net. It offers great support, etc. Regarding the friend, you'll see that some friends (and family) are supportive, some jealous, and some angry for whatever their personal reasons. Your friend may not understand how you are feeling about having this done, or have other reservations; but they won't be resolved until you talk it through. But I feel its something we need to be sensitive about - how other's feel, and communicate accordingly. Some friends who i feel are "weird" about me having surgery, I don't discuss it with - unless they ask. Others I talk openly with. Always remember, this is a very personal decision. Good luck on your insurance approval !!
Irene S.
on 7/1/04 3:26 am - NJ
Sorry you lost someone you considered a friend, or more like a sister. It really hurts. But at least now you know. She's not the first, I'm sure and she won't be the last. Taking control of our lives and destiny and no longer being the doormat for people causes some people to exit our lives. But in the end, you must take control in order to be successful. Remember, when one door closes another one opens! So look around, and I'm sure you'll find new friends. irene
Most Active
Recent Topics