Newbie here

Missy L.
on 6/18/04 10:49 pm - New York, NY
Hi, I am new to this board and to this way of life. I have met with Dr. Cappella of Ramsey NJ and scheduled surgery for a VGB. I am so overwhelmed right now, I do not know what to think. I am so nervous that I am making a mistake - and that I will regret this. I am so scared of the surgery and complications. I am scared that I will never be able to eat anything I like again. I am scared that I will be vomiting up whatever I eat for the rest of my life. I am having some second thoughts. I am doing this for me - becasue I want to live my life instead of living vicariously through others. My Dr. says that I am a good candidate - 30 years old, nonsmoker, nondrinker, no real medical problems - just high cholestorol. I guess I just need some reassurance from people who have gone through this surgery. I have roughly 100 pounds to lose. Lastly, I am also concerned with hanging skin - I admit i am vain - and getting the weight off is obviously the priority - but does everyone get that - and is there anything I can do to prevent it? I know I am rambling - but as I said before I am reallly overwhelmed by everything. BTW, has anyone had Dr Cappella as a surgeon? Thank you for reading this very long message - I feel a little better just by typing it out.
Kathy S.
on 6/18/04 11:18 pm - Rio Grande, NJ
Meredith I just had my surgery 11 days ago and felt the same way you did. I am 20 years older than you and wish this procedure was available then. You are young and your medical problems will come along. I said I was the healthest fat person around, but when I hit 50 that change. Your joints, back, feet take a toil when you are heavy. This is a wonderful site to get information to make a sound decision, Go to the support group in your area and just listen. You need to communicate with other people who have had the surgery. Just read read read. Everything will work out Kathy
Dawn H.
on 6/19/04 10:34 am - Jersey CIty, NJ
Hi Meridith and welcome! Its ok to feel confused and have mixed emotions everyone has them . You have a while before surgery .. with all the testing and waiting for approval etc. use the message boards here on OH... you will get a wealth of information. read the profiles .. the before and after pics. I havent had the surgery yet... but I am ready for it... Im a little nervous but mostly a little excited.. cant wait to begin this jounery on the other side. I have heard very good things about Dr Camponella and nothing bad .. so I think you have made a good choice in surgeon.. if you have any questions ASK ASK ASK.. here or in the Dr office ... so you can make the best informed decision. Good luck to you.. Dawn
marie P.
on 6/27/04 10:02 am - mantua, NJ
Hi Meredith, my name is Marie and i live in Mantua NJ. I am having my surgery on tuesday 6/29 and every fear you have is almost the same for everyone. i was kind of lucky that i have a sister who had her surgery on the 16 of feburary this year so she kind of was my source of 'on sight"information. I hope that i can get back with you and let you know how things went with me. My surgeon is John Meilahn at the Temple university Hospital in Philadelphia, Pa.
Most Active
Recent Topics