Filters

Cheri M.
on 6/18/04 2:02 am - NJ
Has anyone had to have filters put in before surgery? I am scheduled for surgery on July 16th and to have filters put in on the 9th. I just told my husband the news and he is worried that he has to take another day off of work.. He wants to save as many days to help me out after surgery. If anyone has had this done, is it painful? Can I drive afterwards? The hospital is more than an hour away from home, I am worried about how to get there and back. Thanks, Cheri
Maggie F.
on 6/18/04 5:37 am - washington, DC
Hi Cheri, I had a filter inserted a couple of months ago, they gave me a choice whether to get one that can be removed or one that stays in. I chose the to have the one that can be removed. The one that is to be removed is inserted through your groan area. The other is inserted through your neck area. They will prep you the same way they do when you are going to have surgery. They will give you medication to put you in a "twilight" sleep. The procedure takes about 20 minutes, the longest time is spent waiting to have it done. After the procedure you are taken to recovery for about 45mins to an hour. You will have to have someone there to take you home, because they will not let you leave the hospital alone, liability you know. You may feel some discomfort afterwards but it will not be bad. Maggie F.
Kathy S.
on 6/18/04 7:37 am - Rio Grande, NJ
Hi Cheri I am a fliter because two years ago I had blood clots. It was nothing but you have to have someone drive you home. I was also an hour away. You will be find with the procedure. Good luck! Kathy
Cheri M.
on 6/21/04 2:13 am - NJ
Will I be up and around later that day.. my concern is always my kids. They are both young and need a lot of attention. Will I be able to drive, not home, but later that day or even the next day? Can I go swimming? What about walking up and down the stairs? That you for anything you can offer to put my mind at ease.
Most Active
Recent Topics