newly diagnosed sleep apnea

andrea B.
on 5/20/04 6:49 am - howell, NJ
I just completed a sleep study and found out I have positional sleep apnea(i only have it when laying on my back). I am so afraid I will not be able to have my scheduled surgery june 16. Will my doctor( dr. trevedi) make me reschedule or should it not make a difference. The formal results from the sleep study are not in, this was just from the tech who gave me the test.so i do not know if i will need a cpap.Will they make me wait a few weeks of cpap treatment prior to surgery? please let me know if anyone had similar experience?thanks
Barbara G.
on 5/24/04 9:38 am - Hainesport, NJ
I too have sleep apnea and have worn a bi-pap for a number of years. This will not affect your surgery as you will have to wear it for a while. From what i understand after loosing weight you could be taken off of it. I had my surgery 2 months ago, it was lap band, and I had a lot going against me whi*****luded emphysema, congestive heart failure, diabetic. My surgery was done at Univ of Penna by Dr Noel Williams and I would recommend him to anyone. They were worried I would not come off the respirator, he weened me off that same day in recovery. I would not think this would hinder or delay your surgery. Good luck and you will find a whole new world open up to you as it has done for me!
andrea B.
on 5/25/04 5:35 am - howell, NJ
Thank you so much for answering me back. I had my preop testing today and am so excited. I need to fax a copy of my sleep study to my surgeon and he will check it out. I am sure it will be fine. I am sure they will maybe just monitor me closely during surgery. Let me ask you, did you have to do anything special preop to get ready? All I really need to do is just eat and drink clear liquids the day before surgery. When did you have your surgery? Do you go to any support groups? How did you do after surgery? I would love to hear someone's experience. My email is AJKJK20@ optonline.net.thanks so much!
Most Active
Recent Topics