Bad Taste in Mouth

janice M.
on 3/26/04 8:23 pm - mullica hill, NJ
I am 5 days post-op and have a terrible taste in my mouth. Has anyone else experience this. Also, I cannot get near the broth, it makes me feel sick in my stomach. Any help, please. Jan
Tara B.
on 3/26/04 9:51 pm - Eatontown, NJ
Hi, i'm right there with you. bad taste in mouth and all i can seem to get down so far is jello and protein shakes and of course water. as far as the bad taste, i bruth my teeth a lot and been killing my bottle of listerine.
janice M.
on 3/27/04 9:43 am - mullica hill, NJ
thanks Tara, Someone said it is a side effect from anasethia but I didn't know. I think its a little better today. How long are you on this eating course. I am right with you and can't even think of eating anything else. I am a little depressed to. Maybe missing food. Jan
Tara B.
on 3/27/04 12:12 pm - Eatontown, NJ
oh i definately miss food. lol. but i think of what a wonderful tool wls is and i feel better. it's not a cure all, just a help along. just keep thinking about the results in the end. it will all be worth it. one thing that upsets me is that all of my family and friends where so supportive of me having this surgery...but now i feel as if i've been stranded. my husband, his mom and my dad/wife/brother where the only ones who came to visit me and it seems that a few people are advoiding me. maybe it's just my imagination but i dont think it is. hmmm. i have too much to think these days. i'm so glad i have someone to chat with who will be right along this journey with me. as far as my doc says....i think it's like a month or so before real food can be consumed. for me i can only take this one week at a time...so all i know is that i get up graded to full liquids on wed when my staples come out.
inkychick
on 3/28/04 1:44 am - Lynchburg, VA
Hi Janice. I remember having an awful taste in my mouth too. First it was kinda metallic; I imagined I could taste the blood and anaesthesia from the surgery. Then it changed a bit when I went into ketosis. It does change the way you taste food, and it can be frustrating. Breath Strips are very strong and dissolve on the tongue--they may help mask that icky post-op taste. It's a process of experimenting post-op to find what things sit well and taste good now, and it's very individual. Things will get better as the days pass, just hang in there and keep trying different sweet/salty/bland things.
SJWendy
on 3/28/04 6:27 am - Swedesboro, NJ
Hi Jan, I had the same yucky mouth thing going on since surgery too, however it did get better once I was able to introduce milk to my full liquid diet. I just had surgery on the 15th...so we're Marchers together and neighbors...I'm in Swedesboro! Once your feeling up to it, e-mail me, maybe we can walk at a park or share experiences. This week was so warm I was able to get out with my hubby and kids and walk a bit, we usually go to Pitman (Bethel Mill) or Wash. Lake parks, even Nat'l Par****assionally. Looking forward to hearing from ya! Take care, Wendy [email protected]
Most Active
Recent Topics