21% Body Fat!!

Denise W.
on 3/12/04 12:33 am - Maple Shade, NJ
Okay, here's an interesting peice of trivia - did you know, you could weigh as much as 190 lbs and still have only 21% body fat? Well, you can! I had surgery 10 months and 10 days ago and have lost a total of 172 lbs. I have gone from a BMI of 63 to 23 and 23% hydration to 58%, as well as 56% body fat to 21% - holy cow!! And yet I weigh 191 lbs. Oh well, I'm still thrilled!! It seems working out regularly can cause you to gain more muscle, lose more fat and consequently weigh heavier, since (as we all know) muscle weighs more than fat. Hm...just call me Miss Amazon! The challenge right now is getting the "number" out of my head. You know what I mean, that magic number you always wanted to weigh. It appears I'll never be at that number, but then again, I have no room to complain at 21% body fat, now do I? Once again, the head needs cleaning out - I think that's where the rest of the fat I need to get rid of is residing! (My goal is now 18% BF, instead of working towards a specific weight.) For those who've had surgery - get moving. Do anything to move your tush. I started off with walking 2 blocks, that was all I could physically do, but I did it every day. I'm now up to 2 miles a day, plus I work out at the gym 4 to 5 days a week. I've gotten hooked on Pilates and Spinning, and have a personal fond love for the eliptical machine. Apparently this is what's melted all that fat away. A woman in my group, had the surgery a week after I did and she told me last night she weighs alot less than me, yet her body fat is much higher. The difference? EXERCISE. I still don't like that word, but boy oh boy, do I love what it does for me! This surgery was the ABSOLUTE best thing I ever could have done for myself. It has given me the needed motivation to change my life. The surgery doesn't guarantee success by itself, it needs you to go along for the ride. And what a ride it's been! Just had to share. Thanks to everyone for their continued posts, I love to hear how everyone's progressing. Take care! Denise
Laura H.
on 3/12/04 11:26 am - Belford, NJ
WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOO !!!! Way to go Denise !!!! I'm so glad things are going so well for you !!! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK !!!! Laura
Arcadia73
on 3/12/04 11:50 am
Wow! How awesome! Congrats on your accomplishment!! That is very motivational for me to hear as I am just beginning my whole wls journey! I go for my surgical consult on 3/17! Can hardly wait! 21%..that is stellar...did u have any plastic surgery or just old fashioned hard work??!? Any other words of wisdom?? Take care! Sincerely, Sharon
Denise W.
on 3/15/04 10:48 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
No plastic surgery yet - since I'm only 10 months out, I have to wait. If I'm lucky enough to get PS, that's probably where I'll get to see the scale drop down, cause baby, there's lots hanging!! Words of wisdom? I've shared this before on this site, but since you asked, I'll share it again. As I was leaving the hospital, the head nurse told me the 3 most important things to do, to assure no return trips to the hospital and a speedy recovery. They are: 1 - Walk everyday, several times a day. This is difficult right after surgery, because you hurt and let's face it, walking isn't one of our favorite pasttimes. But if you want to keep those blood clots away, you need to walk. At least 3 or 4 times a day while in the hospital and once you get home. It doesn't have to be far, it just needs to be often. 2 - Drink your water! Even more important than getting your protein in the first week, is getting in the water. Whether as Crystal Lite, Propel Fitness Water, or decaf tea/coffee, you need to get as close to 8 cups a day in. The number 1 reason for a return visit to the hospital (said the head nurse) is dehydration. So, sip, sip, sip! 3 - Do not overeat or eat what you shouldn't! Now that sounds like an impossibility, but given you're use to eating MANY ounces of food right now, when you first get out of the hospital, you'll be lucky to get in 2 to 4 oz of food a meal. Take your time and let your new stomach get use to what you're putting in. Blockages, while rare, can occur if you eat something you shouldn't, or force too much in - so stick with your post-op food plan and take your time eating. Hope that helps Sharon - again, those are words of wisdom from someone who runs the floor that all my surgeon's gastric bypass patients re-coop on, so I figure she would know what to watch for. Good luck in your journey and feel free to e-mail with any questions you may have. Denise
Detective-Cruz
on 3/14/04 4:46 am - Beachwood, NJ
You go girl! Keep up the good work! Gives all us "newbies" something to loook forward to! Chrissie
Most Active
Recent Topics