I'M JUST STARTING MY PROCESS OF WLS AND NEED SOME HELP.

DONNA R.
on 2/2/04 1:44 pm - BELLEVILLE, NJ
I VISITED MY PRIMARY PHYSICIAN TODAY TO START MY PROCESS OF WLS. I AM BEING SET UP FOR VENOUS DOPPLERS, ECHOCARDIOGRAM, AND THALIUM STESS TEST. I WILL ASLO BE SEEING A PULMONOLOGIST FOR MY SEVER SLEEP APNEA, AND A GASTROENTEROLOGIST FOR MY OTHER PROBLEMS. I WANT TO HAVE ALL THIS DOCUMENTATION READY BEFORE I VISIT MY SURGEON, WHO WILL BE DR NUSBAUM. THERE IS ONE THING I NEED HELP WITH....MY PRIMARY PHYSICIAN WANTS ME TO HAVE A LIST OF DIETS AND OTHER WEIGHT LOSS METHODS I HAVE TRIED.....WHICH IS AN ENORMOUS LIST CONSINDERING THIS PROBLEM HAS BEEN WITH ME SINCE CHILDHOOD WHEN I HAD TO SEE A NUTRITIONIST....DO I NEED TO HAVE SPECIFIC DATES AND PHYSICIANS WHO I HAVE VISITED DURING MY PAST WEIGHT LOSS HISTORY? I HAVE BEEN ON SO MANY PLANS AND DIETS AND MEDICATIONS...THIS LIST SEEMS TO NEVER END....WHAT DOES THE INSURANCE COMPANY REQUIRE? SPECIFIC DATES? SPECIFIC DOCTORS? I AM CONFUSED ABOUT THIS PART. MY INSURANCE IS HORIZON BC/BS ON NJ PPO DIRECT ACCESS. PLEASE IF ANYONE HAS HAD TO DO THIS PLEASE MAY I ASK FOR YOUR HELP. ANY INFORMATION WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. WARMEST REGARDS, DONNA RENNINGER
SAVAGE
on 2/2/04 2:27 pm - Howell, NJ
Dea Donna. I am a health care professional and it is all overwhelming even to me. So be patient and do what the say and take it one day at a time. I just had my first consult with the surgeon and it kills me to know i have to wait 8 mths but like i siad to others i have been fat 48 years so what's eight more months right??? All i can say is documentation will be you new best friend. get a notebook or ledger to help you keep up with everthing and everyone you speak with for refference so you can reffer back to all info. My insurance is Qual care PPO and luckily they are pretty good, has to be medically necessary but most are approved on the first time out. So best of luck to you , don't get discourged! JOycelyn
Nichole P.
on 2/7/04 4:14 pm - Emerson, NJ
Donna, My name is Nichole and I also recently started my journey towards WLS! I am 19 years old and therefore many people don't consider weight to be a 'problem' yet. My surgeon Dr Artuso feels that i am a great candidate for surgery and that as long as i have the documentation that approval should be no problem, he told me what i would need was... 1. A psychological Evaluation, to assure your mentally ready for this change. 2. A letter from your doctor stating how long they have been treating you as well as any weight loss attempts that you have made, all documented weights they have for you and such facts, because your other doctor is no longer close, i would suggest calling them if you can locate them and speaking to the doctor he may be able to snail mail you a letter or even fax it directly to yourself or your surgeon. Also i couldnt remember ALL of my weight loss attempts so i listed the most important or most heard of for example: Atkins, Jenny Craig, Weigh****chers, Stacker 2, Curves... etc. For the dates i put the approximate year or atleast just made something up. Ive also read that including a personal letter about your weight battle will help with insurance approval. I just submitted for approval and im scared of rejection!!! Also ask the surgeons office if they have sample letters that you could give to your doctor and psychologist so they can assure that their letter will have all pertinent info and cover everything any insurance company could ask! I also would suggest writing down questions, comments, diets, excersize, pain, medical history and whatever you can think of before going to the surgeon, check out www.mygastricbypass.com, that womans site has a list of questions and necessities! Well time to go now... Good Luck! =) PS- if your surgeon doesnt have sample letters i might be able to get you some from my surgeon ;) goodnite! goodluck!!! -Nichole
Most Active
Recent Topics