Remember, My Results Are Not Typical!!!

jlewisjr
on 1/29/04 8:28 am - Elizabeth, NJ
Hi Everyone: Had my 4 month follow-up with my surgeon today and 1) He was impressed with my slimmer waist line and 2) I can now eat what I want (of course as I can tollerate things) and I can begin to lift weight again. I can now work on that summer body (LOL). He told me to see him when it's hot in 6 months. Now for the reason for the title of my post. I posted to one of the support groups I belong to yesterday and I received a question from one of them. They wanted to know how I gould get to the weight loss goal set by my surgeon in a quarter of the time most people usually get to their goal. I do admit that I am as surprised as anyone that things progressed so fast but I'm not complaining. She also said that she heard that my surgeon bypasses a little more of the instine in order to create more malabsorption. I guess that her feeling was that my surgeon did some sort of trick or something. I asked him today just to get the question out of the way and he said that he does what every other surgeon does. My result so far is not your typical result. It's exceptional. I know that some folks who have the surgery try to become "experts" but not only am I'm not trying to become an "expert", I'm not going to second guess or overanalyze any part of my journey. I'm just going to follow my plan and enjoy the fruits of my effort. So for those who are slow losers of have hit a plateau, don't let it get to you. By sticking to your surgeon's plan you will get to your goal. As my surgeon says, we are people, not charts. Don't judge your weight loss based on another person's. Remember, my results are not typical! Sounds like an infomercial doesn't it? (LOL) Take care, Jesse 373/245/-128
filloreta B.
on 1/30/04 6:16 am - lodi, nj
Well congrats too you and good luck!! alot of people think this surgery is a cope out, but its not, its the hardest thing in the world and its a forever thing, so dont let noone bring u down or make u feel like u tookt he easy way out, goodluck
seah2os
on 1/30/04 11:22 pm - Toms River, NJ
Jesse, First of all I want to congratulate you on your wonderful success. I have been following your story since November (when I first joined this forum). I have been mostly been lurking here, reading the posts. I agree with what you are saying about everyone being individuals and that you can not compare weight losses. At first I fell into that trap too, but I realized that I am doing what is best for me, no one else. I know a person who had this wls and only lost 50 pounds in 6 months, but then I found out she is eating cookies galore, and not really following what she is supposed to do. Personally, I think she is crazy because why go through the surgery and then cheat? Makes no sense to me. I was having a plateau a couple weeks ago and I was a bit discouraged, but after reading your posts, I realized that it happens to everyone. I am quite impressed by your progress and your attitude. Your pictures are great! Again, congratulations on your success! Keep up the good work! Carolyn 310/242/-68
dpnna
on 1/31/04 8:07 am - w. orange, nj
Hi Jesse- You did look wonderful when you came to the office- we were all impressed! The new Jeans were great! You are absolutely right about everyone being different-and losing at their own speed. I see all of the postops walking in and everyone is different, everyone has plateaus, and different weight loss rates. Even I wish I'd lose faster and more than I have! - I moan about it every other day! If there was a trick to this surgery - I would have asked Dr Garrison about it before my surgery. I know that since I work for him and see him every day- He must have been nervous and wants the absolute best results for me. He's practically part of my family. I see his patients every week-his patients know he did my surgery and some of them have had much better results so far than I have.(especially you!) I actaully have learned a great deal from you! Especially the chant- PROTEIN, WATER, EXERCISE! I read your posts to motivate myself and try to follow your example! Thank you for helping me.
Georgette C.
on 1/31/04 10:30 am - Princeton Junction, NJ
Hi Jesse, As you know I've been following your progress from the begining and I am so HAPPY for you. You have been my inspiration on my journey. When I just read this lastest post of yours I remember something you said early on and always mention, that is when you made the decision to have the WLS you made a commitment to yourself to follow the rules and you have. PROTEIN, WATER and EXERCISE and a lot of COMMITMENT is paying off and I couldn't be happier for anyone. Everyone is different and will lose at a different rate, bottom line the surgery works and is a great TOOL. How we choose to use that tool is up to us. Keep up the great work. Your the light at the end of my tunnel !! Georgette
Most Active
Recent Topics