How long between initial consult and actual surgery?

Dee M.
on 1/28/04 8:48 pm - Citrus Springs, Fl
Hi everyone... I'm curious about how long between your initial consult with the surgeon and your actual WLS surgery? When I made the appointment for my initial consult,the office staff told me that surgery is generally 6 to 8 weeks after that appointment...Sound about right? Thanks~!
Irene S.
on 1/28/04 10:59 pm - NJ
I think it depends on the surgeon. I know some docs you can wait up to six months from the time of completion of pre-op testing until surgery. For others, it's less than 3 weeks. In my case, I was told the same thing, 6-8 weeks. I did my consultion 3/25, had all my paperwork completed by the first week of May. My surgeon suddenly decided to change practices. He resigned from the hospital he was operating at. But he completed all surgeries that were booked thru July. I wasn't on the list, so I'm still waiting. I can't tell you if I would have been on the August roster... So for my doctor, it was at least 4-5 months from time of consult... irene
Lisa L.
on 1/29/04 3:24 am - West Deptford, NJ
Hi Dee, I am also a patient of dr slotman.Be prepared to wait wait wait.I started this process last April got my appt. for August 14th Dr Slotman said surgery would be in January well needless to say I got my surgery date in early Jan and I'm not scheduled til may 3rd. I attend Dr Slotmans supprt group with a really sweet person I met on here (Linda we share the same surgery date also) I know at the preop meeting I heard they were already scheduled thru August for patients that already had their consult. When is your consult appt. Feel free to email me if you want Wish I had better news for you Lisa
Tara B.
on 1/29/04 6:31 am - Eatontown, NJ
it depends on the doc. i've been waiting 13 months...i just switched to a new doc and now it's gonna be about 2 months...but i also already have my approval and all. i just have to redo my pre-op testing.
Patti S.
on 1/29/04 11:52 am - North Haledon, NJ
I went to the doctors in the 3rd week of November I was approved by the 3rd week of December and I could of had my surgery by the 2nd week of January But I oppted to have in in Feb. when the kids are on vacation from school. 2/17/04. Patti NJ
Nannette
on 1/30/04 3:00 am - Toms River, NJ
Had my initial consult on April 1, 2003, completed all my tests by May 9th, and had surgery on June 16th. Went smoothly, although I had my surgery in Staten Island -- one of the reasons besides great Drs, was because the wait for NJ Drs was enormous. Good luck.
filloreta B.
on 1/30/04 6:19 am - lodi, nj
Hey!! i had my surgery on august 11th, i think my appt was july 7th, so mine went real quick, i waited about 2 or 3 weeks.
inkychick
on 1/31/04 1:00 am - Lynchburg, VA
My consult with Dr. Abkin was at the end of January 2003, and then I was given a surgery date of April 15, 2003. I hear their wait list is a bit longer now.
Dee M.
on 1/31/04 5:27 am - Citrus Springs, Fl
Thanks for all of the replies... I've been leaning towards changing surgeons.I have an appointment scheduled w/ Dr.Slotman but then I found out about UMDNJ in Stratford and their bariatric practice,so I made an appointment there after speaking at length with their coordinator..The UMDNJ are the opnes who told me surgery is generally 6 to 8 weeks after consult as opposed to Dr.Slotman's 6 months or more...I'll keep you all posted~!
Most Active
Recent Topics